Our Bacon-Wrapped Sausage Dogs take a traditional campfire classic to the next level. Instead of hot dogs, Italian sausages are wrapped with bacon and served in a baguette topped with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, barbecue sauce and mustard. Impress your family and friends by making your own Yellow Mustard – it’s so easy you’ll wonder why you ever bought mustard in the first place!
Bacon-wrapped sausage dogs
8 slices bacon
4 mild Italian sausages (about 100 g each)
Deli Swiss cheese slices
Yellow Mustard (recipe below)
1. Cut ends off of baguette and reserve for another use. Cut baguette crosswise into four pieces. Without cutting all the way through, cut each baguette piece in half lengthwise. Lightly brush oil over baguette pieces, including cut sides.
2. Open baguette pieces and grill over medium heat on natural gas barbecue, turning once, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Beginning with 1 slice, wrap each sausage, spiral fashion, with 2 slices of bacon.
4. Grill bacon-wrapped sausages over medium heat, turning occasionally, until bacon is crisp and sausages are completely cooked, about 25 – 30 minutes.
5. Serve in baguette pieces with cheese, sauerkraut, barbecue sauce and Yellow Mustard. Makes 4.
1/3 cup mustard seed
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup apple juice
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3 tbsp warm water
To prepare, combine all Yellow Mustard ingredients except water in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and refrigerate, stirring twice, for 2 days.
Transfer mixture to a blender. Add water and purée until smooth. Makes about 1 cup.
ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen’s column on healthy eating for busy families runs Fridays in the Red Deer Advocate. For tips on energy safety, food or household matters, call 1-877-420-9090 toll-free, email firstname.lastname@example.org or live chat with us online at atcoblueflamekitchen.com.