In the lap of luxury at Le Blanc Spa Resort
I just couldn’t do it. But it wasn’t because I didn’t want to. We had only been at the luxurious Le Blanc Spa Resort in Cancun, Mexico, for a few moments when I was faced with a difficult decision — should I unpack my bag myself or allow my white-gloved butler to do it while I sipped a cool drink with my husband by the pool?
Sensing my reluctance to allow a stranger to unpack my unmentionables, my butler Bruno reassured me that he was a professional packer. Although I was really curious to see what a professional unpacking job might look like, in the end I just couldn’t bring myself to let him perform the service.
Fortunately, Bruno didn’t take it too hard. He went through a list of other services he was equipped to provide and suggested that while I unpacked he might make a dinner reservation for later that evening.
After dinner, he asked if I would like him to draw an aroma therapy bubble bath in the large jetted tub in our room. I had always wanted to have a butler draw me a bath, so I selected an aroma therapy flavour and began settling in to enjoy the good life.
Le Blanc Spa Resort is an adult-only all-inclusive Cancun resort that is owned and operated by Palace Resorts. As the name suggests, the decorating scheme centres around the colour white, with white walls, ceilings, window treatments and furnishings in a contemporary minimalist style. The result is an ambiance of absolute luxury.
The resort particularly caters to couples by offering a service level that is well above what is found at most all-inclusive beach resorts. At Le Blanc Spa Resort, the ratio of staff to guests is approximately 1:1 and onsite butlers help to fulfil your every desire, so you can make the most of your resort stay.
The resort has even created a free downloadable mobile app that helps you keep in contact with your butler even before you arrive. From an iPhone, iPad or Android device, you can schedule spa appointments and golf tee times, make preferred pillow selections, request in-room aromatherapy, peruse seasonal restaurant menu options, request shoe shining, ask for luggage packing assistance and book tours — before you arrive or anytime during your stay.
At Le Blanc, you can do as much or as little as you like. There are three onsite pools, two Jack Nicklaus golf courses nearby, a spectacular spa, and a stunning white sand beach to enjoy. There is also an onsite gym with fitness classes, yoga instruction and personal trainers who give private instruction at no additional charge.
Perhaps the best thing about the resort is the calibre of the food and drink that is included in the price. There are eight dining spots that offer a wonderful variety of foods. The resort bills itself as gourmet inclusive and each restaurant has trained sommeliers on staff to help with wine pairings. The wine cellar is vast and although there are some wines that are available at an extra charge, most of the vast selection of highly-rated wines is included at no additional charge.
Little included touches such as fresh bruschetta prepared tableside at the Italian restaurant and an eight-course tasting menu at the French restaurant make Le Blanc stand out from other all-inclusive beach resorts.
But the ultimate test of an accommodation is how they handle problems that arise.
As we dined at the French restaurant one evening, we noticed a somewhat frantic American couple pop in to inquire if he had left his money clip behind during dinner. Moments later, the maître d’ returned with a money clip filled with $100 American bills. While I question the logic of walking around a Mexican resort with that much cash in your pocket, I was impressed with the honesty of the staff.
The next day as I was enjoying a swim in the infinity pool, I looked up and saw our butler standing in the hot sun by the edge of the pool calling my name. I had received a phone call with a request that I phone back immediately, so Bruno had tracked me down. I was impressed.
Impressed would pretty much describe my attitude about the entire stay.
Having a personal butler may take some getting used to, but it is a definite highlight of any stay at the Le Blanc Spa Resort.
Back home as I began unpacking my suitcase and looked at the disorganized heaps of clothing I had managed to create, I couldn’t help wishing Bruno was there.
I was finally ready to put his unpacking skills to use. After all, some jobs call for a professional touch.
If you go
• The AAA 5 Diamond Le Blanc Spa Resort is the most upscale of the Palace Resort Properties and is restricted to guests over 18 years of age. Condé Nast Traveler named Le Blanc Spa Resort the No. 1 hotel in Cancun and Riviera Maya. It is also ranked No. 1 on Tripadvisor and ranked No. 3 on the list of the top 10 all-inclusive resorts in the world. The resort caters primarily to couples and is located in the hotel zone in an enclave between the Nechupte Lagoon and the Caribbean Sea with access to a beautiful white sand beach and three pools, two of which are infinity pools. More than half of the rooms have full ocean views.
• The resort has an airy, modern feel with plenty of white, beige and marble on the interior and minimalist decor. Each room features little extras such as a preloaded iPod that guests can use for the entire stay, free WiFi throughout the resort, and unlimited long distance calling to Canada, the United States, South America and Europe. All rooms have indoor Jacuzzis, pillow menus, butler service, minibars stocked with premium liquor and snacks, Swiss spa showers and Bvlgari bath amenities.
• There are eight onsite restaurants, bars and lounges that serve gourmet cuisine and premium wine and spirits, including an impressive French restaurant that features an eight-course tasting menu.
• The onsite spa is huge and has 17 treatment rooms and features innovative treatments such as a fish spa pedicure, using live garra rufa fish to remove the outer layer of skin and improve blood circulation. All hotel guests can enjoy a guided hour-long spa hydrotherapy circuit treatment free of charge.
• Le Blanc Spa Resort offers a variety of activities for guests, such as fitness classes in the large fitness centre, personal trainers, yoga lessons, meditation, mixology, cooking classes and sand sculpture lessons. The onsite concierge can also arrange a variety of area tours and the resort features nightly entertainment and live musical performances.
• Complimentary wedding, vow renewal and honeymoon packages can be reserved for guests staying a minimum of four nights with no restriction on the number of other rooms booked.
•Le Blanc Spa Resort is offering several promotions. A resort credit promotion is available that offers guests staying five to eight nights a $1,500 resort credit per room that can be used for spa services, golf, tours, room upgrades and other amenities. Rates start at US$347 per person per night with the resort credit promotion. Other promotions offer unlimited golf or free Mexican tours included in the room rate.
Debbie Olsen is a Lacombe-based freelance writer. If you have a travel story you would like to share or know someone with an interesting travel story who we might interview, please email: DOGO@telusplanet.net or write to: Debbie Olsen, c/o Red Deer Advocate, 2950 Bremner Ave., Red Deer, Alta., T4R 1M9.