Algae health advisory issued for Haunted Lake
The blue-green algae health advisory at Haunted Lake near Alix will be in effect until Oct. 1.
Alberta Health Services issued the warning a week ago. Residents living near the shore and visitors are being advised not to drink the water.
Pets should also be kept away from the lake.
Blue-green algae produces a toxin and those who consume contaminated water as a primary drinking source can develop serious illnesses, such as liver damage.
“It will remain in place until Oct. 1 because there is no simple way to determine whether the toxin has disappeared or what part of the lake it’s in,” said Dr. Digby Horne, a chief medical officer of health for Alberta Health Services Central Zone, on Thursday.
The advisory is posted at the lake.
Central Albertans and their pets are advised not to swim or wade in Haunted Lake.
Contact with blue-green algae along the shoreline should also be avoided, along with consumption of fish from the lake.
Symptoms from contact with the noxious water can include skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Signs of toxicity in children are often more pronounced because they tend to spend more time in the water and are more likely to accidentally ingest it.
Horne said he was not aware of anyone getting sick.
If anyone suspects a problem related to blue-green algae, or requires further information, they can call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-LINK (5465).