Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

LATEST NEWS:

Red Deer Advocate - News
TEXT
  • letter
  • print
  • follow

Apartment fire caused by unattended stove

One man was taken to hospital and some residents had to escape by clambering off their balconies after an early-morning apartment fire on Monday.

Red Deer Emergency Services responded to a fire in the three-storey apartment building at 5616 42nd St. shortly after 1 a.m. Tenants were alerted to the fire by a hallway smoke alarm and phoned 911.

Fire-medics found the victim lying on the floor of his apartment in the nine-suite building. He was taken to hospital but his condition is unknown.

Some residents got out through smoke-filled corridors and some escaped using their balconies. There were no other injuries reported.

Fire investigators determined the fire started on a stove top. Damage was estimated at $85,000.

“We remind residents to stay in the kitchen when using the stove top or broiler,” said Tim Kivell, fire prevention officer. “It doesn’t take long for a fire to start and the results can be tragic.”

 
TEXT
follow us on twitter

Featured partners