Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Red Deer Advocate - News
TEXT
  • letter
  • print
  • follow

Penhold daycare evacuated

.Penhold fire crews responded to the concerned call about the building on Aberdeen Street around 7:13 a.m. Everyone at Community T.I.E.S. Daycare had been relocated to a nearby community centre and parents were called to pick up their children.

According to Fire Chief Jim Pendergast, levels of carbon monoxide were found in the building, along with high levels of heat. Crews also discovered the furnace and duct filters clogged with some kind of substance.

With a thermal imaging camera, crews were able to narrow the problem to the furnace area in the basement.

ATCO gas employees were brought in and determined the furnace and water heater were both “faulty.” The units were tagged “out of service.”

Portions of the street were blocked off for about one and half hours.

There were no injuries and no one will be allowed back into the building until the furnace and water heater have been replaced. All services to the building have been turned off until that time.

Pendergast said the building is owned by the town.

Crews wrapped up their investigation by 9 a.m.

 
TEXT
follow us on twitter

Featured partners