Shooting death case delayed again
Criminal proceedings have been delayed again against a man accused of shooting a hunting partner in the fall of 2009.
Bentley-area resident Philip Moore, 55, died at the scene after suffering a rifle shot to his midsection while hunting big game with three others in a wooded area about 13 km west of the village, shortly after 4 p.m. on Nov. 29, 2009.
Lacombe resident Herbert Stanley Meister, 57 at the time, was later charged with criminal negligence causing death and criminal negligence in the use of a firearm.
After a series of adjournments, Meister was scheduled to stand trial this week before Justice Kirk Sisson in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench.
Sisson allowed a recess in the trial on Tuesday.
Back in court on Thursday, with family members and close friends of Moore filling nearly one-third of the gallery, Sisson was asked once again to adjourn proceedings.
Defence counsel Balfour Der of Calgary said he had been working on a plea negotiation with Crown prosecutor Robin Snider, who is on an unscheduled leave.
Bina Border, chief Crown in Red Deer, has taken over the case and is continuing negotiations, said Der.
However, her office has brought up new facts that he wants to review with his client before signing off on a plea deal, he said.
Der and Border return to court on Monday to set a new date for Meister’s hearing.