Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Red Deer Advocate - News
TEXT
  • letter
  • print
  • follow

Stettler family homeless after blaze


A Stettler family was left homeless after a Saturday night blaze.

A couple and their two young children managed to flee the home and were not injured.

Stettler Regional Fire Chief Mark Dennis said on Tuesday that when fire crews arrived on scene about 9:30 p.m., the home was fully aflame. It took volunteer firefighters about two hours to bring the fire under control and crews finally left the scene about 1:30 a.m.

The house in the town’s Grandview neighbourhood had extensive fire and water damage and is likely a writeoff. Fire crews managed to limit damage to a neighbouring house to the outside wall and soffits.

Dennis estimates the fire caused $500,000 worth of damage to the two homes, including contents.

The blaze was fireplace related but investigators are trying to determine exactly what went wrong.

Victim Services came to the aid of the family, who were put up in a local hotel. The community is already rallying to help them.

“It’s a small community. Everybody is sort of getting together and trying to support them as best they can and get them back on their feet.

“I talked to the homeowners yesterday and they were in good spirits, considering.”

pcowley@reddeeradvocate.com

 
TEXT

COMMENTS

COMMENTING ETIQUETTE: To encourage open exchange of ideas in the Red Deer Advocate community, we ask that you follow our guidelines and respect standards. Personal attacks, offensive language and unsubstantiated allegations are not allowed. More on etiquette...

 

 

follow us on twitter

Featured partners