Two students injured when aerosol can explodes
Two Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School students were injured on Thursday when a prank with an aerosol can went wrong.
The two 16-year-olds suffered cuts when they ignited the spray from the can and the heat caused a decorative glass block in a stairwell to explode, said Red Deer Emergency Services platoon chief Randy Kidd.
The incident happened about 2 p.m. When fire-medics arrived, the two students were already being treated in an office by school staff, he said.
“They did well. They looked after the kids,” he said.
They were taken out of the school on stretchers and put in separate ambulances. One student could be seen clutching a bloody cloth to his mouth.
Kidd said injuries were restricted to cuts from flying glass. Neither student suffered burns. It could have been much worse.
“The one young fellow did have lacerations to his face. But it could have involved his eyes but it didn’t, so they were fortunate.”
Kidd said igniting any gas under pressure, even such common household items like deodorants and hair sprays, is dangerous.