Extension-cord mess cited in fire that killed N.B. mother, three sons

Fire investigators say a mess of extension cords, power bars and the failure of an electrical component were the likely cause of a fire that killed a New Brunswick woman and her three adult sons in April.

The bodies of Esther Boyd, who was in her 80s, and her sons Davey, Billy and Robbie were found inside a St. George, N.B., home on April 11.

Investigator Jeff Cross wrote that it was his opinion that poor electrical housekeeping contributed to the fatal fire.

He said there was a tremendous amount of extension cords, power bars, power blocks along with various electronic devices within the fire’s area of origin, although no specific source of ignition was identified.

Neighbours called 911 when they saw smoke and flames coming from the home.

The tragedy shook the small community in the province’s southwest, where Davey Boyd was an honorary member of the fire department and always wore his uniform.


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month