Man at centre of rental controversy was wanted in Quebec
CALGARY — The man who an Alberta senior says claimed her rental property as a sovereign “embassy” had a warrant issued for his arrest in Quebec when he stopped showing up in the middle of his assault trial.
Andreas Pirelli, 48, who sources have confirmed also goes by Mario Antonacci, was on trial in Montreal in May 2010 when he failed to show up and a warrant was issued.
The charges stemmed from a Sept. 20, 2007, incident in which a landlady was allegedly thrown down a flight of stairs and broke several bones.
The man in that case also claimed the landlady’s residence was an embassy as part of a sovereign movement, according to reports from the trial.
He and a co-accused faced a number of charges including aggravated assault, according to the reports.
Alberta senior, Rebekah Caverhill, has been locked in a two-year battle with Pirelli, who she says identified himself as a follower of the Freemen-on-the-Land movement, changed the locks on the house and has refused to leave.
Caverhill says she has been billed for renovations the man did inside the home and that he had a lien placed on the property.
Pirelli did not respond to an email request for a comment on the Quebec warrant. When The Canadian Press asked him about Caverhill’s initial allegations, he responded with a warning that he has trademark claims on the name “Andreas Pirelli” and “The First Nations Sovran Embassy of Earth.”
A Calgary police official declined to comment on the Quebec warrant. A police spokesman said earlier this week it was consulting with Alberta Crown prosecutors office about whether criminal charges could be laid in the case.
Meanwhile, in Calgary court Tuesday, Pirelli was ordered to vacate Caverhill’s rental property by 12:01 a.m. Saturday.