Rescue workers remove their hard hats as firefighters carry a second body out of the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake, Ont., on June 27, 2012. When Commissioner Paul Belanger reports this week on the deadly collapse of a mall in northern Ontario, he and his team will have spent months sorting through numerous claims, counterclaims and finger-pointing as to who was to blame for the tragedy. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Verdict Thursday in Ontario mall collapse case

Verdict Thursday in Ontario mall collapse case

A discredited former engineer who signed off on the health of a northern Ontario mall just weeks before it collapsed in June 2012 finds out Thursday if he bears any criminal responsibility for the two women who died in the rubble.

Robert Wood, of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., had pleaded not guilty to two counts of criminal negligence causing death and a third count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

The maximum sentence for criminal negligence causing death is life in prison.

If Superior Court Justice Edward Gareau does pronounce him guilty of the charges, Wood plans to argue in July that the proceedings should be halted because the matter took too long to get to trial, in violation of his charter rights.

Initially, the stay application was to have been heard on Thursday. However, Gareau, who reserved his decision in February, recently contacted the parties involved to say he had reached a verdict and wanted to deliver it as soon as possible, Wood’s lawyer Robert MacRae said in an interview on Wednesday.

“The argument behind the stay is that the time between the laying of the charges and the conclusion of the trial is excessive,” MacRae said from Sault Ste. Marie. “We’re coming up on the fifth anniversary of the collapse.”

On June 23, 2012, part of the rooftop parking garage at the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake, Ont., crashed into the shopping area below. Lucie Aylwin, 37, and Doloris Perizzolo, 74, were killed while Jean-Marie Marceau, 80, was badly hurt.

Police charged Wood criminally in January 2014. The prosecution then pushed to put on hold charges that had been previously laid in April 2013 under provincial worker-safety rules pending disposition of the criminal charges. The general rule is that 30 months is the longest it should take for someone charged to be tried in Superior Court.

The stay application is currently set to be heard July 25, if needed.

Evidence at a lengthy judicial inquiry was that supporting beams at the Elliot Lake mall had rusted through after decades of rain-water penetration. Wood inspected the building in 2009 and again in 2012 in the weeks before the collapse.

In May 2012, Wood told the mall’s owner that steel supports at the shopping centre showed surface rusting, but were otherwise “structurally sound.” He later admitted changing his final inspection report after his partner had signed off on it to delete photographs of a corroded steel beam and yellow tarps strung to collect water leaking into a mall store.

Wood, now in his mid-60s, was stripped of his professional engineering licence in November 2011 after admitting to misconduct unrelated to the mall and is now retired.

He testified both at the inquiry and during his trial that he saw nothing to indicate any imminent danger existed.

Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Accused murderer tells all to Mr. Big undercover officer

Joshua Frank tells undercover police officer he shot the Klaus family

Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre prepares to open

Non-profit will run the facility and agencies will provide staff

Rocky Mountain House man arrested for child luring

A 30-year-old Rocky Mountain House man was arrested after allegedly having explicit… Continue reading

Parkinson association will close offices but maintain services

Offices closing in Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge

WATCH: Central Middle School students’ Christmas tree

A group of Central Middle School students are set to show off… Continue reading

Red Deer County firefighters to be recognized for Waterton help

RCMP brass will give formal recognition Monday

Ron James tries to lighten humanity’s load through humour

The comedian returns to Red Deer for shows Dec. 1 and 2

100+ Women Red Deer donate to Christmas Bureau

About $14,000 will help with Christmas hampers and toys

Semi collides with vehicle on Highway 2 north of Ponoka

Members of the Ponoka Integrated Traffic Unit dealt with a call on Highway 2 north of Ponoka

After 70 years, Red Deer veteran still remembers his traumatic war experience

Frank Krepps feels lucky to have survived the Second World War

Merritt Mountie charged with assault

Charges are in relation to an incident in May at the detachment, B.C. Prosecution Service said

Blackfalds RCMP arrest “armed and dangerous” man

A 38-year-old man, who police identified as armed and dangerous, was arrested… Continue reading

VIDEO: B.C.’s own hammock deer garners celebrity status

After getting tangled in a backyard hammock the deer in Prince Rupert has T-shirts, Facebook page

Most Read


Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month