Pierce a go for Bombers, Argos unsure if Ray will play
Buck Pierce is a go for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, but the Toronto Argonauts can’t say the same about Ricky Ray and Chad Kackert just yet.
Pierce received medical clearance to resume playing Wednesday and will start Friday night at Rogers Centre against Toronto. But the Argos will wait until Thursday before announcing whether Ray (knee) and Kackert (ribs) will play.
Ray has missed three games with his injury while Kackert has been out two weeks. Both practised Wednesday but Argos head coach Scott Milanovich said the players would be re-examined later in the day and the club wouldn’t know until Thursday’s walkthrough if either will suit up against Winnipeg.
“I’m optimistic he (Ray) is going to play,” Milanovich told reporters following Wednesday’s practice in Oakville, Ont. “It’s not official until he goes through the process and we expect to have a definitive answer (Thursday).
“I think Chad is going to be able to go. He needs to see the doctor but I’m very optimistic he’ll be going.”
Pierce, 30, will make just his sixth start of the season Friday. But it will be his first since suffering a mild concussion after taking a helmet-to-helmet hit from Toronto’s Brandon Isaac in a 29-10 home loss to the Argos on Sept. 29.
Isaac was penalized on the play and later fined an undisclosed amount by the CFL. Winnipeg offensive linemen Steve Morley and Justin Sorensen were also fined for separate, retaliatory hits on Isaac.
Bombers cornerback Jovon Johnson later tweeted he had been fined $300 by the league for post-game comments about the incident.
Pierce said the Bombers are heading to Toronto to win a football game and not exact revenge.