Blue Jays’ Gibbons looks back at 1980 draft

John Gibbons could have been a Blue Jay more than two decades before he first joined the organization, if he had made a better first impression.

Toronto first eyed its current manager in 1980, when he was a still a 17-year-old catcher at MacArthur High School in San Antonio. Keen on Gibbons’ potential, the Jays sent scout Al LaMacchia to see him at an individual tryout prior to that year’s MLB draft.

But Gibbons, unaware of who LaMacchia was, left the scout unimpressed in that initial interaction.

“I was catching a pitcher in the bullpen and there’s this old man just sitting there watching and I’m like, ‘who is this guy,’” Gibbons said with a laugh in his Toronto office last week.

“The pitcher finishes throwing and the guy walks up to me and says: ’Hey son’, and I say: ‘yes sir?’ He goes: ‘You know how many balls you dropped?’ I said: ‘I wasn’t counting.’ He said: ‘About five or six. That’s too many.’”

The Blue Jays, who had the No. 2 overall pick that year, instead chose Garry Harris, a shortstop from San Diego who didn’t make it past double-A.

Gibbons fell to the 24th spot, going to the New York Mets with their third pick of the first round. The Mets also had the No. 1 selection that year, snagging outfielder Darryl Strawberry before choosing another outfielder, Billy Beane at No. 23.

Neither Beane nor Strawberry signed with the Mets immediately, holding out for large bonuses. Beane eventually settled on US$125,000 while Strawberry received $210,000.

Gibbons, fearing New York would rescind its modest offer of $45,000, was too eager to wait. He signed three days after the draft, foregoing a scholarship to the University of Texas, when Mets scout Jim Hughes came to his house.

“Me and my dad, we didn’t know what we were doing,” Gibbons chuckled. ”(Hughes) made the offer and we were sitting there talking and finally he said $45,000 was the best they could do and he left the house. So I tell my dad: ‘I don’t think they really want me, I better take that.’ I called (Hughes) and I said: ‘Give me $55,000 and I’ll sign right now.’ And he came right back over.

“Later I talked to Beane and Strawberry and their first offer was $45,000 and they both held out over a month. Then I talked to the guy picked behind me (in the second round) and they offered him $45,000 and he got $90,000. That’s what happens when you’re eager — eager and stupid.”

Much has changed since the 1980 draft in terms of bonus money for players.

Last year’s 24th pick, shortstop Hudson Sanchez, signed with San Diego for a cool $1 million while the No. 1 selection (outfielder Mickey Moniak) reached a $6.1 million deal with Philadelphia. Toronto’s first pick in the 2016 draft, pitcher T.J. Zeuch at No. 21, signed for over $2 million.

The Blue Jays will pick twice (at 22 and 28) in the first round of this year’s draft, which begins Monday and goes through Wednesday, and have a total of $8.23 million allotted to signing bonuses.

Gibbons spent part of his 1980 bonus on a Datsun 280ZX before reporting to Tennessee to play for the Appalachian League’s Kingsport Mets.

He played a total of 11 years in the minors with the Mets, Dodgers, Rangers and Phillies and had two brief MLB stints for New York in 1984 (nine games) and 1986 (eight games).

Gibbons said it’s always been hard to tell which players will succeed in the majors. Seven of the 26 first-round picks from his own draft never made it to the big leagues but three of them — Strawberry, Kelly Gruber, and Glenn Wilson — were all-stars.

Others like Terry Francona, Rick Renteria and Gibbons, who first joined Toronto as a bullpen catcher in 2002 before becoming the team’s first base coach later that year, became better known in managing roles.

“That was a good draft,” Gibbons said, listing off some of those first-round picks. “Some pretty good players there.”

Melissa Couto, The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Accused murderer tells all to Mr. Big undercover officer

Joshua Frank tells undercover police officer he shot the Klaus family

Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre prepares to open

Non-profit will run the facility and agencies will provide staff

A slow economic recovery isn’t yet loosening Central Alberta’s tight job market

Job-seekers at Red Deer fair say there are still few openings

Rocky Mountain House man arrested for child luring

A 30-year-old Rocky Mountain House man was arrested after allegedly having explicit… Continue reading

Parkinson association will close offices but maintain services

Offices closing in Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge

WATCH: Central Middle School students’ Christmas tree

A group of Central Middle School students are set to show off… Continue reading

Red Deerian honours her brother who died in a motorcycle collision

Houaida Haddad is encouraging Red Deer residents to donate blood

Red Deer County firefighters to be recognized for Waterton help

RCMP brass will give formal recognition Monday

Ron James tries to lighten humanity’s load through humour

The comedian returns to Red Deer for shows Dec. 1 and 2

100+ Women Red Deer donate to Christmas Bureau

About $14,000 will help with Christmas hampers and toys

Semi collides with vehicle on Highway 2 north of Ponoka

Members of the Ponoka Integrated Traffic Unit dealt with a call on Highway 2 north of Ponoka

After 70 years, Red Deer veteran still remembers his traumatic war experience

Frank Krepps feels lucky to have survived the Second World War

Merritt Mountie charged with assault

Charges are in relation to an incident in May at the detachment, B.C. Prosecution Service said

Blackfalds RCMP arrest “armed and dangerous” man

A 38-year-old man, who police identified as armed and dangerous, was arrested… Continue reading

Most Read

Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $185 for 260 issues (must live in delivery area to qualify) Unlimited Digital Access 99 cents for the first four weeks and then only $15 per month Five-day delivery plus unlimited digital access for $15 a month