Te Barrick Gold logo is seen during the company's annual general meeting in Toronto on Tuesday, April 28, 2015.  THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Barrick reports ‘constructive meetings’ with Papua New Guinea in Porgera mine battle

Barrick reports ‘constructive meetings’ with Papua New Guinea in Porgera mine battle

Toronto-based Barrick Gold Corp. says it has held “constructive meetings” with the Papua New Guinea national government to try to resolve a dispute and reopen the suspended Porgera Gold Mine in the southwestern Pacific island nation.

In a joint statement issued Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister James Marape says he and Barrick CEO Mark Bristow met in the capital of Port Moresby and reached an agreement in principle that the country will take “a major share of equity” in the mine while Barrick Niugini Ltd. will remain the operator.

In an email, however, Barrick spokeswoman Kathy du Pessis quoted Bristow as saying there was progress made on an “amicable set of agreements” but there is still some way to go until a binding deal is reached.

The mine was shut down in April after the PNG government refused to renew the expired special mining lease held by Barrick Niugini, which is owned 47.5 per cent each by Barrick and Zijin Mining Group of China, with the rest held by local landowners and the Enga provincial government.

Barrick Niugini permanently laid off 2,650 local mine workers in July as the dispute dragged on. Meanwhile, global gold prices were rising to all-time record highs.

In September, it said it had lost a court challenge over rights to the gold mine and would appeal to the country’s supreme court. It also noted confirmation from the prime minister that a special mining lease for Porgera had been given to Kumul Mineral Holdings Ltd., the national mining company.

The latest salvo in the ongoing battle came Sunday when Barrick Niugini refuted as “specious” recent charges by Acting Chief Secretary Isaac Lupari, who said his government would sue Barrick for billions of dollars for “years of environmental neglect and sustained human rights abuses.”

In May, Barrick Gold removed Porgera output from its overall 2020 gold production guidance, dropping it by about 200,000 ounces to between 4.6 and 5.0 million ounces.

On Thursday, Barrick reported production of 1.16 million ounces of gold and 103 million pounds of copper in the third quarter, based on preliminary results.

Barrick said it sold 1.25 million ounces of gold and 116 million pounds of copper in the three months ended Sept. 30 at average market prices of US$1,909 per ounce and US$2.96 per pound, respectively.

Barrick says gold production for the first nine months of 2020 totalled 3.6 million ounces and the company remains on track to achieve its full-year production guidance.

National Bank analyst Mike Parkin said gold production numbers were “modestly soft” compared with his and consensus estimates.

Barrick shares closed down 53 cents or 1.4 per cent at $36.68 on Thursday. It plans to release its full results for the third quarter, which ended Sept. 30, on Nov. 5.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 15, 2020.

Companies in this story: (TSX:ABX)

The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta children whose only symptom of COVID-19 is a runny nose or a sore throat will no longer require mandatory isolation, starting Monday.
477 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Alberta on Thursday

Changes being made to the COVID-19 symptom list for school-age children

Chasetin Morin
Photo from RCMP
Three men accused of assaulting Blackfalds RCMP officer going to trial

RCMP officer shot and wounded one of alleged attackers in December 2019

The Cenovus Energy Inc. logo seen at the company's headquarters in Calgary, Alta., Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
One-time costs of Husky takeover expected to be about $500 million, says Cenovus CEO

One-time costs of Husky takeover expected to be about $500 million, says Cenovus CEO

This drum circle was one of a multitude of activities held at The Hub on Ross in downtown Red Deer. The facility was permanently closed by the provincial government his week. (Advocate file photo.)
Many Red Deerians react with anger, dismay at closure of The Hub on Ross

Many disabled people can’t afford other recerational options, says guardian

Award-winning Calgary developer Brad Remington stands with Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer at the site of three multi-family condo complexes that are planned for Capstone, west of Carnival Cinemas. (Photo by LANA MICHELIn/Advocate staff).
$36M condo project on its way to Capstone development

Calgary developer plans to create 180 housing units to open in 2022

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Workers at Olymel's Red Deer pork processing plant are among those eligible for a $2-an-hour bonus because of the pandemic.
Red Deer Advocate file photo
Two Olymel workers test positive for COVID-19 in Red Deer

Two workers at Olymel’s pork processing facility in Red Deer have tested… Continue reading

Ryan, Falcons avenge earlier loss to Panthers, 25-17

Ryan, Falcons avenge earlier loss to Panthers, 25-17

FILE - In this Oct. 28, 2015, file photo, former world boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. shows off his Russian passport during a news conference in Moscow, Russia. Mike Tyson and Jones got permission from California's athletic commission to return to the boxing ring next month because their fight would be strictly an exhibition of their once-unparalleled skills. (AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev, File)
Mike Tyson, Roy Jones promise a fight in “exhibition” return

Mike Tyson, Roy Jones promise a fight in “exhibition” return

David Hearn watches his putt on the seventh hole during the first round of the Wyndham Championship golf tournament at Sedgefield Country Club on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2020, in Greensboro, N.C. David Hearn, like everyone, has been deeply effected by the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Chris Carlson
Canada’s Hearn looks to shake off poor 2020 results with more consistent play

Canada’s Hearn looks to shake off poor 2020 results with more consistent play

Malnati birdies half of holes to take 1-shot lead in Bermuda

Malnati birdies half of holes to take 1-shot lead in Bermuda

Penny Oleksiak swims the 200 metre race during the 2018 Team Canada finals in Edmonton on Wednesday July 18, 2018. The number of young swimmers in Canada is dwindling because of barriers posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Swimming Canada urges pools to accommodate youth, says can be done safely

Swimming Canada urges pools to accommodate youth, says can be done safely

Canada's Meaghan Mikkelson (12) and Marie-Philip Poulin (29) defends against United States' Hilary Knight (21) during the third period of a rivalry series women's hockey game in Hartford, Conn., Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019. Gina Kingsbury, Hockey Canada's director of women's national teams, hopes a Rivalry Series against the United States can happen this winter.THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Michael Dwyer
Canadian women’s hockey team yearns for international competition

Canadian women’s hockey team yearns for international competition

Most Read