Blackberry weighs option of a sale as operations review gets underway

Hopes of BlackBerry returning to its glory days have all but disappeared as the smartphone company delivered the most damning proof that its new phones are a sales flop by moving forward with a plan that could result in the sale of its operations.

Hopes of BlackBerry returning to its glory days have all but disappeared as the smartphone company delivered the most damning proof that its new phones are a sales flop by moving forward with a plan that could result in the sale of its operations.

The board of directors at the Waterloo, Ont.-based company launched a review of “strategic alternatives” on Monday, a move which it says could also potentially take BlackBerry in other directions, such as a partnership or joint venture.

Regardless of the outcome, the company’s future is uncertain.

BlackBerry could be scooped up by an interested buyer or even go private — an idea that has gained favour after reports said the board has recently opened to that option, even though it wasn’t specifically mentioned in the announcement.

Whichever path BlackBerry takes, the role of Fairfax Financial chief executive Prem Watsa is almost a certainty. The head of Canadian insurance company Fairfax resigned from the BlackBerry board on Monday due to potential conflicts with the review process.

The move suggests with near certainty that Watsa expects Fairfax will play a crucial role in the future direction of the company.

Watsa joined the board in early 2012 as part of attempts to revitalize BlackBerry, then called Research In Motion, and he has since increased his stake to about 10 per cent of the company.

“I continue to be a strong supporter of the company, the board and management as they move forward during this process,” he said in a statement issued by BlackBerry.

“Fairfax Financial has no current intention of selling its shares.”

BlackBerry shares rose nearly 11 per cent, or $1.08, to close at $11.13 on the Toronto Stock Exchange, which is about $8 below the high in January when the stock was boosted by optimism for its BlackBerry 10 smartphones.

In some ways, BlackBerry has been here before, with its future teetering on uncertainty, but the stakes are different this time around.

BlackBerry launched a softer review of its “strategic business model alternatives” in May 2012, which some analysts had expected would turn into a sale of certain assets. That never materialized and the company went on to launch its new line of phones.

Since then, the new high-end Blackberry 10 devices have struggled to gain favour in the highly competitive smartphone market dominated by Apple’s iPhone and the Android devices.

In the United States, the phones were considered a dud almost as quickly as they hit shelves and other regions, such as Canada and the United Kingdom, delivered lukewarm sales figures.

BlackBerry reached a crossroads last month when its new BlackBerry Q5, a cheaper version of the latest devices, arrived in stores to a tepid response. The phone was seen as a way to appeal to consumers who weren’t shopping for a high-end device, but it was met with both underwhelming reviews and sales figures anecdotally that fell short of expectations. Official sales data isn’t release by the company.

It seems that nearly everywhere BlackBerry turns, the confidence in its future has faded, and even with a potential sale of its operations ahead of it, some observers still aren’t hopeful.

“I think there is likely no bright future for Blackberry,” said Bernstein analyst Pierre Ferragu, in an email from the U.K. His firm has long been pessimistic about the company’s stock price.

“Their technology isn’t differentiated anymore, which means consumers won’t switch to them and larger players won’t buy them out for that. Chinese vendors or a Microsoft could at some point be interested in buying what’s left of their user base — especially corporate clients and the brand —but that wouldn’t be at a premium of today’s stock price.”

Other than that, the list of potential acquirers is short — with big players like Google and Apple out of the question — which makes it likely that a team of private equity players will make a move.

The company’s strategic review will be headed by Timothy Dattels, who joined BlackBerry’s board last year and is a senior partner at TPG Capital, one of the world’s largest private equity firms.

“Given the importance and strength of our technology, and the evolving industry and competitive landscape, we believe that now is the right time to explore strategic alternatives,” Dattel said in a statement.

BlackBerry founder Mike Lazaridis will also likely be involved, as he still owns 5.7 per cent of the company’s outstanding shares.

The biggest challenge is rallying enough large private equity partners who share a similar vision, and would be willing to fork over a huge chunk of money for a company teetering on an uncertain future.

Questions will be raised about which pieces of the BlackBerry’s operations could generate the most revenues, a factor which garnered plenty of attention in mid-2011 when the company first began to see its smartphone device marketshare tilt drastically lower.

QNX Software Systems, which BlackBerry acquired three years ago, has become a significant part of its business, playing a major role in the development of BlackBerry 10, as well as future technologies that integrate the operating system with automobiles.

BlackBerry also owns a wide array of patents, estimated somewhere in the range of 10,000 to 15,000, that cover advanced wireless technology, security, enterprise mobility and software.

“We don’t foresee any scenarios where the value of the company will be significantly larger,” said Tim Long, an analyst at the Bank of Montreal, in a note.

“While a change in structure could result in a higher stock price in the near term, we do not envision any changes that would help Blackberry reverse the significant smartphone share loss or rapid decline in service revenues.”

Research firm IDC issued a report last week which showed that BlackBerry has continued to lose its position in the second quarter, falling to 2.9 per cent of the market, even as its new phones rolled out across the globe. The company sold 6.8 million devices in the period.

Chief executive Heins said there are still “compelling long-term opportunities” for the company’s products including a new generation of smartphones, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for business customers and a new secure global data network.

For more coverage of BlackBerry follow David Friend on Twitter.

http://www.twitter.com/dj—friend

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

(Advocate file photo)
Lacombe man to apply to withdraw manslaughter guilty plea

Tyler John Campbell wants to change plea after judge rejected seven-year sentence

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine being prepared at the COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the University of Toronto campus in Mississauga, Ont., on Thursday, May 6, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Tijana Martin
Canada to get two million Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine doses as provinces expand rollouts

OTTAWA — Canada is scheduled to receive two million doses of the… Continue reading

Members of the Sipekne'katik First Nation load lobster traps on the wharf in Saulnierville, N.S., after launching its own self-regulated fishery on Thursday, Sept. 17, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
U.N. committee to consider racism complaint of N.S. Mi’kmaq fishers against Ottawa

HALIFAX — A United Nations committee on racial discrimination is asking the… Continue reading

Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam speaks during a technical briefing on the COVID pandemic in Canada, in Ottawa on Friday, Jan. 15, 2021. Canada's chief public health officer is reminding Canadians even those who are fully vaccinated are not immune from transmitting the COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Tam warns that full vaccination does not equal full protection from COVID-19

Canada’s chief public health officer reminded Canadians on Saturday that even those… Continue reading

In this image taken from video by the FDNY, pedestrians hurry away from the scene of a shooting in Times Square, Saturday, May 8, 2021, in New York. New York City police say three innocent bystanders including a 4-year-old girl who was toy shopping have been shot in Times Square and officers are looking for suspects. All the victims are expected to recover. (FDNY via AP)
NYPD officer: 4-year-old shooting victim ‘didn’t even cry’

NEW YORK — A 4-year-old girl who was shot in the leg… Continue reading

Pumpjacks pump crude oil near Halkirk, Alta., June 20, 2007 .A flurry of stock sale financings by oil and gas producers in Canada has sparked optimism among investors that the stalled drilling industry will soon go back to work. But analysts warn that’s not likely to happen this year, THE CANADIAN PRESS/Larry MacDougal
Ensign Energy Services reports $43.6M Q1 loss, revenue down 43 per cent from year ago

CALGARY — Ensign Energy Services Inc. reported a loss attributable to common… Continue reading

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex speaks at "Vax Live: The Concert to Reunite the World" in Inglewood, Calif. on May 2, 2021, left, and Oprah Winfrey appears at the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Jan. 7, 2018. Winfrey and Prince Harry are teaming up for a series that will delve into mental health issues and feature segments from athletes and stars like Lady Gaga and Glenn Close. The streaming service Apple TV+ plus announced Monday that the multi-part documentary series “The Me You Can’t See” will debut on May 21. (AP Photo)
Oprah, Prince Harry reunite for Apple TV+ mental health show

LOS ANGELES — Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry are teaming up for… Continue reading

The Weeknd attends the LA premiere of "Uncut Gems" in Los Angeles on Dec. 11, 2019. The Weeknd will celebrate his whopping 16 nominations at the Billboard Music Awards with a performance at the show. Dick clark productions announced that the pop star will hit the stage at the May 23 event. It will air live on NBC from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)
Top nominee The Weeknd to perform at Billboard Music Awards

NEW YORK — The Weeknd will celebrate his whopping 16 nominations at… Continue reading

Serena Williams walks past her coach Patrick Mouratoglou during a training session at the Italian Open tennis tournament, in Rome, Monday, May 10, 2021. (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia)
Serena Williams returning after ‘very intense’ training

ROME — Forget all that speculation about Serena Williams considering retirement after… Continue reading

In this Nov. 17, 2020, file photo, IOC President Thomas Bach visits the National Stadium, the main venue for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games postponed until July 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic, in Tokyo. Bach has canceled a trip in May 2021 to Japan because of surging cases of COVID-19 in the country, the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee said Monday, May 10, 2021 in a statement. The trip was made impossible because of a state of emergency in Tokyo and other parts of the country that has been extended until May 31. (Behrouz Mehri/Pool Photo via AP, Fo;e)
IOC’s Thomas Bach cancels Japan trip because of virus cases

TOKYO — IOC President Thomas Bach has cancelled a trip to Japan… Continue reading

Quebec Premier Francois Legault chairs a premiers virtual news conference as premiers John Horgan, B.C., Jason Kenney, Alberta, and Scott Moe, Saskatchewan, are seen onscreen, Thursday, March 4, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Several provinces bring in new restrictions as high COVID-19 case numbers persist

Several provinces are gearing up to tighten public health measures once again… Continue reading

Members of the RCAF take part in a Royal Canadian Air Force change of command ceremony in Ottawa on Friday, May 4, 2018. The Royal Canadian Air Force is hoping Canada will open its doors to military pilots from other countries as it seeks to address a longstanding shortage of experienced aviators. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Patrick Doyle
RCAF turns to foreign pilots to help with shortage as commercial aviators stay away

OTTAWA — The Royal Canadian Air Force is hoping Canada will open… Continue reading

An arrivals and departures information screen is seen at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport in Halifax on Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018. The chief executive of Atlantic Canada's largest airport is hoping for COVID-19 testing for arriving passengers "sooner rather than later," as an added measure to combat the province's third wave of the virus. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Halifax airport CEO hopes for more on-site COVID testing ‘sooner rather than later’

HALIFAX — The chief executive of Atlantic Canada’s largest airport is hoping… Continue reading

Most Read