Striking dockworkers from the Port of Montreal walk the picket line during the first day of a strike in Montreal on Monday, April 26, 2021. Federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi has tabled a bill to put an end to the strike involving 1,150 dockworkers at the Port of Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Feds table back-to-work bill for Montreal port, call fight ‘life and death’ matter

Feds table back-to-work bill for Montreal port, call fight ‘life and death’ matter

OTTAWA — Federal Labour Minister Filomena Tassi described a strike at the Port of Montreal as a “matter of life and death” as the Liberal government tabled Tuesday controversial back-to-work legislation aimed at getting 1,150 dockworkers back on the job.

Yet while opposition parties and the union representing the dockworkers all rushed to criticize the measure as a failure on the part of the government, the legislation appeared poised to pass with support from the Conservatives.

Operations at the Port of Montreal came to a halt after the dockworkers began a strike Monday morning, causing a complete shutdown at one of Canada’s busiest ports, through which millions of tonnes of goods flow each year.

Tassi kicked off debate on the proposed legislation Tuesday afternoon by describing the measure as the government’s “least favourite option,” but a necessary step given the potential ramifications across Canada.

That includes widespread economic damage and the potential to endanger lives as medical and pharmaceutical supplies sit in shipping containers while the COVID-19 pandemic rages, Tassi said.

“(That) this is literally a matter of life and death has been the message that has been communicated to me if medical products and lifesaving medical devices don’t get to hospitals and patients in a timely manner,” the minister told the House of Commons.

“The health of Canadians are at stake. We know there are ships currently with COVID-related products, pharmaceutical and medical equipment that now cannot get through. The impacts are vast and deep.”

Opposition parties and the union representing the dockworkers wasted no time criticizing the move, describing it as an affront to Canadian workers while accusing the government of having failed to help facilitate an agreement between the two sides.

Workers at the port have been without a contract since December 2018 and started to refuse overtime and weekend work earlier this month. The union previously held a 10-day strike in August.

Marc Ranger, Quebec director of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, which includes the longshoremen, described the legislation as “clumsy, ill-advised,” and said it “completely short-circuits the balance of power between the two parties.”

That assessment was echoed by the NDP and Bloc Quebecois, who questioned the need for the legislation, which will impose arbitration to determine the terms of a new collective agreement, with substantial fines in case of non-compliance.

“This is a dark day,” Bloc labour critic Louise Chabot said in French. “It’s a dark day because the government is tabling legislation in order to break negotiations. This is limiting workers’ abilities and tools. … There were opportunities to act otherwise.”

Yet despite echoing many of the same criticisms of the government, the Conservatives appeared poised to support the measure, arguing that the potential economic costs were too massive to let the matter lie.

“It’s unfortunate that the government was unable to facilitate a deal between the two parties and we do not celebrate the fact that this is before us,” said Conservative labour critic Mark Strahl.

“But here we are, we have to make a choice. And we choose to support the Canadian economy and support the workers right across the supply chain who are relying on the products that come through that port.”

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business and four other business associations largely based in Quebec welcomed the proposed legislation, describing it in a statement as critical for the supply chains and even the survival of their members.

“Although we believe that a negotiated agreement is the preferred avenue, after 30 months of uncertainty and fruitless discussions, the government had no choice but to use the levers at its disposal to protect our economy,” the statement reads.

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Minister Tassi have shown the leadership necessary to find a solution to this lingering situation. We had to show firmness to maintain operations at the Port of Montreal and limit the impacts of the past few weeks on our businesses.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 27, 2021.

Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Ella Stoner, five, is ready to cut off her hair and donate it to A Child’s Voice Foundation. (Photo by Lauren Stoner Photography)
Central Alberta girl to donate her ‘princess hair’ to A Child’s Voice Foundation

A five-year-old girl from Rimbey has never had a haircut before. Now,… Continue reading

Asymptomatic testing will now be available for "priority groups" who are most likely to spread the COVID-19 virus to vulnerable or at-risk populations. File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS
Alberta adds 1,195 new COVID-19 cases Saturday

Red Deer has dropped to 760 active cases

Lacombe-Ponoka MLA Ron Orr
Central Alberta MLAs comment on UCP members kicked out of caucus

A pair of central Alberta MLAs have commented on the two United… Continue reading

Contributed photo
Johanna Hannaford: Central Alberta designer offers inclusive clothing

By Stephanie Rhodes Local designer Johanna Hannaford’s inclusive clothing creations are smashing… Continue reading

Red life-ring with splash
Started from the bottom: How a family business started and grew in central Alberta

By Carina Moran We started our business in the basement of our… Continue reading

Vancouver Canucks' Zack MacEwen (71), Travis Boyd (72) and Jimmy Vesey (24) celebrate a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during third period NHL action in Edmonton on Saturday, May 15, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Big third period lifts Vancouver Canucks to 4-1 victory over Edmonton Oilers

Canucks 4 Oilers 1 EDMONTON — Matthew Highmore scored twice in the… Continue reading

A vial of the Medicago vaccine sits on a surface. CARe Clinic, located in Red Deer, has been selected to participate in the third phase of vaccine study. (Photo courtesy www.medicago.com)
Canada’s vaccine rollout operation won’t miss a beat with new military leader: expert

DARTMOUTH — The sudden departure of the senior military officer in charge… Continue reading

Quebec Premier Francois Legault speaks during a news conference on the COVID-19 pandemic, Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at the legislature in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
Quebec premier argues province has power to amend constitution in letter to Trudeau

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault has written a letter to Prime… Continue reading

A demonstrator stands in front of riot police officers during a banned protest in support of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, in Paris, Saturday, May, 15, 2021. Marches in support of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip were being held Saturday in a dozen French cities, but the focus was on Paris where riot police countered organizers who said they would defy a ban on the protest, ordered on the grounds that it risked turning violent. (AP Photo/Rafael Yaghobzadeh)
Police fire tear gas on banned Palestinian march in Paris

PARIS (AP) — French riot police fired tear gas and used water… Continue reading

Photo by The Associated Press
NYC Pride parade bans police; Gay officers ‘disheartened’

NEW YORK (AP) — Organizers of New York City’s Pride events said… Continue reading

Welcoming cowboy boots at the historic and colourful Last Chance Saloon in the ghost town of Wayne near Drumheller, Alta., on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019. The bar and hotel are up for sale. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
‘It was a going concern’: Remaining bar and hotel in Alberta coal ghost town for sale

WAYNE, Alta. — Built during the First World War, it survived the… Continue reading

A letter from a bottle that washed up in New Brunswick in 2017 is shown in an undated handout photo. A team of researchers from Université du Québec à Rimouski are trying to solve the mystery of whether a letter in a bottle that washed up in New Brunswick in 2017 was indeed from a young victim of Titanic shipwreck or simply a hoax. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, N. Beaudry, UQAR *MANDATORY CREDIT*
Real or hoax? Quebec scholars probe mystery letter allegedly from Titanic passenger

MONTREAL — Researchers from Université du Québec à Rimouski are trying to… Continue reading

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau takes part in a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019. Advocates, experts and opposition MPs say correspondence showing close communication between the federal Transport Department and the Canadian Transportation Agency regarding passenger refunds throws into question the independence of the CTA, an arm’s-length body. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Emails reveal close communication between government, transport regulator on refunds

OTTAWA — Advocates, experts and opposition MPs say correspondence showing close communication… Continue reading

Most Read