WINNIPEG — Greyhound will keep its buses on the road in Manitoba and northern Ontario for now.
Earlier this month, the bus company issued an ultimatum to the federal and provincial governments, saying it would shut down bus routes in the regions by Oct. 2 if it didn’t receive $15 million a year in subsidies.
Company officials met with Manitoba Transportation Minister Ron Lemieux on Wednesday and emerged to say there had been “very positive discussions on short-term solutions” to the bus company’s financial problems.
But Stuart Kendrick, senior vice-president of Greyhound Canada, warned if a solution to the bus company’s money losing woes is not found by the end of October, it may yet withdraw its services.
“We’ll have to make a tough business decision,” he said, adding the company has not set a formal deadline.
Kendrick said Greyhound officials hope to meet with the Ontario government but added the company still plans to cut service in northwestern Ontario on Dec. 2 if no subsidy arrangement is reached.