HSBC says its CEO to leave after just 18 months

LONDON — Bank HSBC on Monday announced the surprise departure of CEO John Flint after just 18 months, saying new leadership was needed amid increasing economic uncertainty, and that it was cutting some 4,000 jobs to reduce costs.

London-based HSBC Holdings said Flint stepped down by mutual agreement. Noel Quinn, the chief executive of global commercial banking, will serve as interim CEO while the bank looks for a permanent replacement.

Flint, 51, spent almost 30 years at the bank before he became CEO with the promise to “continue to innovate and accelerate the pace of change” needed to meet the demands of shareholders and customers. HSBC shares have fallen almost 14% since Flint took over, compared with a less than 1% drop in the FTSE 100 Index.

The bank on Monday reported second quarter profits of $4.4 billion, up 7% compared with the same period last year, but it warned that “geopolitical issues could impact a significant number of our major markets.” Economic growth is expected to slow in the U.S. and China amid a trade war between the world’s two biggest economies. Asia accounts for 80% of HSBC’s profits. And Britain is preparing to leave the European Union on Oct. 31, raising uncertainty for the London-based business.

HSBC confirmed that on top of the leadership reshuffle, it plans to cut 4,000 jobs globally, or around 2% of its total workforce.

“With macroeconomic and geopolitical headwinds mounting, the HSBC board could be looking for more radical reform,” Nicholas Hyett, an analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown, said in a note to investors. “What that will look like remains to be seen.”

HSBC has sought to boost earnings by streamlining operations, cutting costs and increasing its focus on fast-growing Asian economies.

Chairman Mark Tucker said that while the bank is in a strong position to deliver on strategy, a change of leadership is necessary.

“In the increasingly complex and challenging global environment in which the bank operates, the board believes a change is needed to meet the challenges that we face and to capture the very significant opportunities before us,” he said.

Flint will be available to assist in the transition, HSBC said.

In the latest round of the trade dispute between the U.S. and China, President Donald Trump last week announced plans to impose a 10% tariff on an additional $300 billion of imports from China.

“Trade tensions between the U.S. and China are progressively affecting the growth output in both markets,” HSBC Chief Financial Officer Ewen Stevenson told investors.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

40 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Alberta

Province’s central zone still has no active cases

Red Deerians protest against racism on Saturday

Hundreds filled Red Deer City Hall Park to protest against racism Saturday.… Continue reading

Alberta reports just seven new COVID-19 cases

‘Today’s numbers mark an occasion to be celebrated’

PHOTO: Food Truck Drive and Dash in Red Deer

Food Truck Fridays launched its new drive-thru style event this week. Throughout… Continue reading

Golden Circle executive director shaves head, raises more than $11,000

The executive director of the Golden Circle Senior Resource Centre has shaved… Continue reading

‘Just went crazy:’ Group gets lots of interest in random camping on public land

EDMONTON — Ryan Epp started a Facebook group in early April to… Continue reading

Some things are best avoided

There are some things you just shouldn’t do. Even on a double-dog… Continue reading

Peter Nunoda: Red Deer College has plenty to celebrate

Friday, we celebrated Red Deer College’s 56th graduating class. It looked different… Continue reading

More protests against anti-black racism expected across Canada today

Anti-racism demonstrators are expected to gather across Canada today to protest police… Continue reading

Cities brace for surge in turnout as George Floyd protests persist across U.S.

WASHINGTON — The outraged Americans flooding the national capital this weekend will… Continue reading

Feds sign $105-million deal with Bombardier for two new Challenger jets

Department of National Defence announced the deal with Bombardier on Saturday

‘It’s brewing’: Inmates, guards worry about violence after COVID-19 lockdown

‘Thirteen weeks in a cage the size of your (bathroom) has been pretty devastating’

Most Read