Ontario Cannabis Store considers private sector involvement in pot distribution

THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO — The Ontario Cannabis Store said Tuesday it will launch consultations aimed at getting the private sector more involved in marijuana storage and delivery.

The Crown corporation’s CEO said in a statement that the agency will consult with federally licensed producers and retail store owners later this month on the possible change.

Cal Bricker said the OCS will then make recommendations to the Ontario government to ensure sufficient distribution capacity is in place to combat the illegal market.

“As the exclusive wholesaler and distributor of legal recreational cannabis in Ontario, the OCS remains focused on its primary objective of combating the illegal market and protecting our youth and communities through overseeing a safe and secure cannabis distribution network across the province,” Bricker said.

But he also acknowledged that the province’s plan to further expand recreational cannabis stores and the coming launch of edibles make it a good time to explore changes.

“While centralized distribution services have served existing retailers … the OCS is taking prudent steps to consult the industry on opportunities to increase their involvement in participating in the storage and transportation of cannabis products to retail stores,” he added.

This OCS has been struggling to meet the demand for recreational cannabis, and earlier this month the agency said it lost $42 million in the latest fiscal year ended March 31. The government blamed the initial startup costs for the loss.

Meanwhile, the number of legal pot outlets in Ontario is expected to grow from 25 to 75 this month.

Cannabis was legalized for recreational use in Canada on Oct. 17, 2018.

The Progressive Conservative government had initially said there would be no cap on the number of retail pot shops after cannabis was legalized. That decision marked a change of course from the previous Liberal government, which created the OCS and had planned to tightly control cannabis sales through government-owned stores similar to the LCBO.

But the supply shortage prompted the Tory government last December to cap the initial number of pot retail licences to just 25 so operators could open for business on April 1.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 15, 2019.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Application process for emergency benefits for workers begins this morning

OTTAWA — Applications open today for the new federal emergency aid benefit… Continue reading

Work camp operator filling need for COVID-19 field hospitals, testing centres

CALGARY — A Calgary company says it has received more than 100… Continue reading

Chaos and scrambling in the US oil patch as prices plummet

NEW YORK — In Montana, a father and son running a small… Continue reading

As COVID-19 triggers survival instinct, unwise decisions can result

MONTREAL — When a Quebec couple recently travelled to the far reaches… Continue reading

WATCH: Red Deer emergency call centre hours change starting next week

Hours at the City of Red Deer’s COVID-19 emergency call centre will… Continue reading

Alberta Health Services provides COVID-19 prevention tips

Alberta Health Services has a number of recommendations for people amid the… Continue reading

Alberta government website has latest COVID-19 statistics

Red Deer Advocate readers can stay up to date on the COVID-19… Continue reading

Raptors coach Nurse ‘100 per cent’ committed to Canada’s push for Olympic spot

TORONTO — Three weeks into global basketball’s shutdown, Nick Nurse isn’t just… Continue reading

Montreal’s Just for Laughs Festival postponed to fall, Jazz Festival cancelled

Montreal’s renowned Just for Laughs Festival has been pushed to the fall… Continue reading

Queen delivers message of hope to UK amid virus outbreak

Britain needed a message of hope Sunday. The queen delivered it. Queen… Continue reading

Quebec Walmart worker struck by driver allegedly angered by COVID-19 measures

SHERBROOKE, Que. — A Walmart security guard from southern Quebec was fighting… Continue reading

Boeing to continue production shutdown due to coronavirus

Company is extending its planned two-week shutdown

Bars, cannabis sector eligible for $40B credit program from government bank

Applicants must go through their own banks to access the program

Most Read