Ontario Energy Minister Greg Rickford says the provincial cabinet was “profoundly disappointed” by the utility’s proposed compensation framework that lays out a proposed maximum compensation of $2,775,000 for the company’s next CEO. (Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Ontario government promises ‘action’ if Hydro One doesn’t cut proposed CEO pay

TORONTO — Ontario’s energy minister says the government will take “any and all action necessary” if Hydro One doesn’t drastically cut its proposed CEO compensation, but the semi-private utility appears not to be budging.

In a letter sent to Hydro One board chair Tom Woods on Wednesday, Energy Minister Greg Rickford says the provincial cabinet was “profoundly disappointed” by the utility’s proposed compensation framework.

The framework, submitted to the province last week and made public on Thursday, lays out a proposed maximum compensation of $2,775,000 for the company’s next CEO.

Rickford says the government doesn’t want that number to exceed $1.5 million.

“As you are aware, our government was elected on the commitment that we will clean up the hydro mess and restore accountability and trust in the electricity sector,” Rickford writes.

“Unfortunately, the proposed framework as submitted indicates a significant divide between the views of the Hydro One board and the largest shareholder, the people of Ontario.”

Rickford goes on to request that Hydro One get back to the government by “Thursday at 5 p.m.” with a proposal that meets the government’s requirements.

But on Thursday, the company released its proposed compensation framework to the public without the government’s requested cut to executive compensation.

“We have been listening carefully to our largest shareholder, the Province of Ontario, as well as other large shareholders, and have made a considerable effort to balance concerns around cost management with the need to attract, retain and motivate highly qualified leadership,” Woods said in a letter accompanying the framework.

When the Progressive Conservatives came to power last spring, one of the government’s first acts was to force the resignation of former Hydro One CEO Mayo Schmidt, whom Premier Doug Ford had dubbed “the six-million-dollar man.”

That move was followed by the resignation of the utility’s entire board, as well as downgrades and lower values of Hydro One shares.

Last month, Hydro One and American utility Avista Corp. announced they were cancelling a planned merger, after regulators in Washington state said the deal would not sufficiently safeguard customers from the whims of the Ontario government.

This summer the government passed legislation give it sweeping new powers over executive compensation at Hydro One.

The bill gives the government authority to approve executive compensation at the utility, and gives cabinet the ability to issue directives to restrict the total annual compensation payable to its CEO and directors.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘A miracle:’ 20 years after deadly tornado Alberta family thankful for survival

PINE LAKE, Alta. — Twenty years after a tornado swept through a… Continue reading

Kick It To The Curb held this weekend in Red Deer

Unwanted items can be left curbside for free pickup by anyone who wants them

Controlling beach is ‘difficult,’ says Sylvan Lake

The Town of Sylvan Lake is looking to the province for direction… Continue reading

WestJet increasing service for August, but still remains far below a year ago

CALGARY — WestJet plans to restart non-stop flights from Calgary to London… Continue reading

Oilpatch optimism expected to rise as difficult second-quarter finally ends

CALGARY — Analysts say a rebound in oil prices as consumer demand… Continue reading

QUIZ: Are you ready for a summer road trip?

How much do you really know about roads, motor vehicles and car culture? Take this quiz to find out.

PM’s apology won’t make furor over WE go away

Justin Trudeau made a bold bid to break up with the ethics… Continue reading

David Marsden: The remaking of Westerner Park

Red Deer residents have been tested by the COVID-19 pandemic in innumerable… Continue reading

Whitecaps finally about to see action at MLS is Back Tournament in Florida

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — There have been no surprises for Whitecaps… Continue reading

NHL announces 30 positive COVID tests in Phase 2, 13 more outside league protocol

NEW YORK — The NHL says 30 players tested positive for COVID-19… Continue reading

Toronto launches drive-in entertainment plan including screenings, concerts

Toronto is launching a drive-in entertainment program as the city extends its… Continue reading

‘Big Brother Canada’ to return with host Arisa Cox as executive producer

TORONTO — “Big Brother Canada” will return for a ninth season with… Continue reading

In reversal, UK says it will make masks mandatory in shops

LONDON — The British government decided Monday to require people to wear… Continue reading

New Zealand opposition leader quits 2 months from election

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — The leader of New Zealand’s opposition National Party… Continue reading

Most Read