PG&E, California governor face off in bankruptcy dispute

SAN FRANCISCO — Pacific Gas & Electric Co. will have to quickly overhaul a complex plan addressing more than $50 billion in wildfire claims to gain California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s support in time to meet a make-or-break deadline for getting out of bankruptcy.

That sobering reality hit PG&E late Friday when Newsom rejected the company’s overhauled restructuring plan, including a $13.5 billion deal between the nation’s largest utility and attorneys representing people who lost their homes, businesses and relatives in a series of catastrophic fires blamed on the utility in 2017 and 2018.

The $13.5 billion settlement was supposed to resolve more than $36 billion in claims from those victims. It came after PG&E struck a separate $11 billion deal with insurers who already paid out billions in losses to their policyholders for the same fires.

Those two settlements form the foundation of a plan now in jeopardy of crumbling unless PG&E can placate Newsom. The Democratic governor’s approval is needed for the utility to be able to draw on a special fund lawmakers approved last summer to protect California utilities from future wildfire losses as climate change makes them more frequent and destructive.

The company’s bankruptcy plan must be approved by the state and a federal judge by June 30 to qualify for the wildfire fund.

Newsom “has all the leverage now, and he is obviously using it,” said Christopher Muir, an analyst with CFRA Research.

PG&E has until Tuesday to submit a revised solution to Newsom. In a statement, the company said it believes its plan complies with California laws and pledged to work diligently to resolve any misgivings.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Dennis Montali is scheduled to rule on PG&E’s plan by Friday.

No matter what happens next, many of the utility’s 16 million customers are fed up. The backlash primarily stems from wildfires that killed nearly 130 people and destroyed about 28,000 structures, and the company’s decision this fall to deliberately turn off power to millions of customers to reduce fire risks in extremely windy and dry conditions.

A group of protesters vented their frustration in demonstrations Monday outside PG&E’s San Francisco headquarters.

Although he didn’t spell out all the changes he wanted in a letter to PG&E, Newsom left no doubt that he expects the company to replace all 14 members of its board of directors.

That demand comes despite PG&E having ushered in 12 new board members in the past nine months. Newsom wants the company’s board to have more directors from California with more experience running a safe business, something the governor and other critics say PG&E hasn’t been doing in the past decade.

Finding new board members more palatable to Newsom figures to be easier than coming up with a financial plan that can pay off all the claims and persuade the governor that the utility will still have enough money to invest in the upgrades needed to make its transmission lines safer and more reliable.

To pull it off, PG&E will likely have to sell more stock to raise billions more than its plan now envisions, predicted Muir, the CFRA analyst. If the company resorts to that strategy, the additional stock sales will have the effect of reducing PG&E’s earnings per share — a key metric used by investors to estimate a company’s value.

The company’s existing proposal relies on giving fire victims $6.75 billion in stock that would give them a nearly 21% stake in the utility.

As expected, Newsom’s resistance to PG&E’s existing plan spooked investors, sending its shares plummeting 14% Monday to close at $9.67. That’s still above the sub-$8 level where the shares were stuck late last month before news reports and confirmation of PG&E’s settlement with the uninsured and underinsured fire victims fueled hopes the company had finally found a clear path out of bankruptcy.

If PG&E can’t appease Newsom, it could give new life to an alternative plan submitted by group of bondholders led by Elliott Management and Pacific Investment Management that would provide the utility with about $20 billion in cash in exchange for most of its stock.

The bondholder group seized on Newsom’s rejection in a Monday court filing that hailed its proposal as the most viable option. The bondholders also asked the judge to remove a provision in PG&E’s settlement with the fire victims that requires them to support the company’s preferred plan.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

"We are looking seriously at the spread and determining what our next steps should be," says Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, as the daily number of COVID-19 cases continues to climb.
427 new COVID cases is highest in Alberta ever

Central zone has 126 active cases of COVID-19

Keaton Wildeboer, of Lacombe, participates in the Westerner Championship Dairy Showcase at Westerner Park on Thursday. More than 150 cattle will be on display at the event, which continues until Saturday, carrying on a tradition started in 1954. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Western Canada’s first dairy showcase since last fall begins in Red Deer

Western Canada’s first dairy showcase since last fall is currently being held… Continue reading

Car thief opening stolen car doors. 
(Black Press File Image)
Idling vehicles attracting thieves, RCMP warns

About one-third of stolen vehicles left idling unattended

Police reveal a collection of drugs, cash and guns seized in an April 2016 bust. One of the men charged was sentenced to 27 months in prison on Thursday.
Advocate file photo
Red Deer man sentenced to 27 months for role in “dial-a-dope” operation

RCMP Priority Crimes Task Force broke up drug operation in April 2016 after four-month investigation

Red Deer RCMP say a 30-year-old man faces sexual charges against a teen. (File photo by Advocate staff)
RCMP’s downtown traffic stops lead to charges

Two traffic stops conducted by Red Deer RCMP officers on bike patrol… Continue reading

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney arrives for an announcement at a news conference in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020.	Kenney is isolating at home after one of his ministers tested positive for COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta premier isolating after minister tests positive for COVID-19

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is isolating at home

North Carolina State safety Jakeen Harris (6) tackles Virginia wide receiver Terrell Jana (13) during an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 10, 2020, at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, Va. Jana's last name doesn't appear on the back of his Virginia Cavaliers football jersey as a tribute to enslaved labourers. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, The Daily Progress, Erin Edgerton
Canadian receiver Jana’s name missing from jersey to honour enslaved labourers

Canadian receiver Jana’s name missing from jersey to honour enslaved labourers

Tiger Woods hits from the 11th tee during the first round of the Zozo Championship golf tournament Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020, in Thousand Oaks, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)
Munoz in the lead and Woods with his worst score at Sherwood

Munoz in the lead and Woods with his worst score at Sherwood

The national anthem is performed ahead of the inaugural soccer match of the Canadian Premier League between Forge FC of Hamilton and York 9 in Hamilton, Ont. Saturday, April 27, 2019. Canadian Premier League champion Forge FC takes on El Salvador's CD Municipal Limeno in a CONCACAF League preliminary-round match Thursday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Aaron Lynett
Forge FC scores late to win CONCACAF League preliminary-round game in El Salvador

Forge FC scores late to win CONCACAF League preliminary-round game in El Salvador

NHL cancels 2021 Minnesota Winter Classic, All-Star Weekend

NHL cancels 2021 Minnesota Winter Classic, All-Star Weekend

FILE - In this Jan. 24, 2020, file photo, Mariah Bell performs her senior women's free skate program at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Friday, Jan. 24, 2020, in Greensboro, N.C. When U.S. skaters and a few foreigners training in this country kick off the season at Skate America this weekend, it could be a rare opportunity to display their wares. So they will relish the chance to get on the ice for competition, knowing that two Grand Prix series events and the Grand Prix Final have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, and prospects of national and word championships being held are uncertain.(AP Photo/Lynn Hey, File)
Skate America opens shortened, coronavirus-impacted season

Skate America opens shortened, coronavirus-impacted season

Kang, Song share lead in LPGA Drive On Championship

Kang, Song share lead in LPGA Drive On Championship

Vegas Golden Knights' Alec Martinez (23) is checked by Vancouver Canucks' Jake Virtanen (18) during first period NHL Western Conference Stanley Cup playoff action in Edmonton on August 23, 2020. The Canucks have signed Virtanen to a two-year contract with an average annual value of US$2.55 million. Virtanen had 36 points and 41 penalty minutes in 69 games in the 2019-20 season. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Forward Jake Virtanen signs new two-year deal with hometown Vancouver Canucks

Forward Jake Virtanen signs new two-year deal with hometown Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver Canucks' Bo Horvat (53) celebrates his goal as he is followed by St. Louis Blues' Alex Pietrangelo (27) during overtime in first round NHL Stanley Cup playoff hockey series in Edmonton, on Friday August 14, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
‘Opening up is not a bad thing’: Canucks’ Bo Horvat leading through uncertainty

‘Opening up is not a bad thing’: Canucks’ Bo Horvat leading through uncertainty

Most Read