Quebecor to launch its wireless business, new TV channe

MONTREAL — Quebecor Inc. is stepping up its competitive stance in the telecom and media sectors as it pushes ahead with a new wireless business and the launch of a 24-hour English news channel early next year.

MONTREAL — Quebecor Inc. is stepping up its competitive stance in the telecom and media sectors as it pushes ahead with a new wireless business and the launch of a 24-hour English news channel early next year.

“Obviously, the next big thing is our new wireless launch,” CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau said Wednesday, after the company reported its second quarter earnings.

“This new fourth pillar of our telecom operation, combined with our very successful convergence strategy, is positioning our company to a new growth segment, which will permit our company to deliver outstanding results.”

About 95 per cent of Quebecor’s advanced wireless network has been completed in anticipation of the late summer launch, Peladeau told a conference call.

He said he expects the cellphone market to be highly competitive with established wireless players like Bell (TSX:BCE). The two rivals are already competing for TV, Internet and home phone subscribers in Quebec.

As for the English-language Sun TV news channel, Peladeau said the CRTC is currently reviewing its licence application and the launch is expected in the first quarter of next year. Quebecor already has a French language all-news channel.

Peladeau said his company is “migrating” from a newspaper company to a multimedia company that distributes content on multiple platforms. He noted the company has already seen some success sharing content among its TV stations and print publications.

Quebecor said profits dropped during the quarter ended June 30 as it faced higher expenses.

The Montreal-based newspaper publisher, broadcaster and cable TV operator posted net income of $65.5 million for the quarter, a decrease from $76.8 million in the comparable period a year ago.

On a per share basis that’s $1 versus $1.19 a share in the same time last year.

Quebecor said it booked a series of higher expenses in the period, including a $31.2 million increase in income taxes and $16.7 million on valuation and financial instruments expenses.

Revenue increased five per cent to $994 million from $946.4 million a year ago.

The telecom division, which includes the Videotron cable TV, Internet and phone business, saw a $55.7-million increase in revenue, while at the news media segment, which operates the Sun newspaper chain and other publications, revenue fell about $4.3 million.

Peladeau said Videotron cable lost 4,000 cable TV subscribers in the quarter, its first negative TV subscriber growth in many quarters.

“This year we experienced 13 per cent more residential moves than the previous year, resulting in our first negative TV subscriber growth over the last 20 quarters as well as a slower growth in all of our services.”

UBS analyst Phillip Huang described Quebecor’s results as “financials strong, subscribers light” in a research note.

Huang said overall financial results were better than expected but noted that he had expected 4,000 net new cable TV subscribers, not a loss.

The conference call was later told it took only five days to recover the net customers losses as a result of the June 30 moving day, specific to Quebec.

Huang had estimated an increase of 18,000 Internet subscribers for the quarter, while Videotron posted 10,000 and also estimated 36,000 phone customers rather than Videotron’s 22,000.

Videotron’s penetration now stands at 69 per cent of the market, compared with 68 per cent last year, the company said.

Quebecor’s broadcasting unit, which operates the TVA network in Quebec, saw revenue fall by $4.5 million.

Peladeau said operating costs were down $8 million, or four per cent, in the quarter and $22 million to date with most of the savings coming from salaries and benefits.

About 250 editorial staff at Quebecor’s flagship newspaper, Le Journal de Montreal, have been locked out since January 2009 in a labour dispute.

Peladeau noted TV advertising was hurt somewhat by the Vancouver Winter Olympics and viewership suffered due to hockey fans watching the Montreal Canadiens playoff efforts last spring.

Shares in Quebecor were down almost four per cent, or $1.36, at $32.90 in afternoon trading Wednesday on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Conservative leader Erin O’Toole holds a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, April 6, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Conservatives plan to introduce $20-per-tonne carbon price in climate plan

OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole is pitching a $20-per-tonne carbon price… Continue reading

(File photo contributed by Red Deer Public Schools)
Red Deer Public Schools say no to piloting new curriculum

Alberta Teachers’ Association support boards

Education Minister Adriana LaGrange says she has not received an official request from any other school board for a similar move to online learning. (Advocate file photo)
’Operational pressures:’ Calgary schools shift to at-home learning for grades 7 to 12

School boards can ask to move online for a number of reasons

In this photo taken Sunday, May 17, 2020, U.S. and Canadian flags fly atop the Peace Arch at Peace Arch Historical State Park on the border with Canada in Blaine, Wash. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP/Elaine Thompson
A electric car is seen getting charged at parking lot in Tsawwassen, near Vancouver B.C., April, 6, 2018. File photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
‘Wrong signal:’ Federal ministers protest Saskatchewan’s electric vehicle tax

Two federal ministers are protesting Saskatchewan’s plan to bring in a tax… Continue reading

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland responds to a question during Question Period in the House of Commons Tuesday December 8, 2020 in Ottawa. Canada’s charities are looking to next week’s federal budget with hopes the Liberals will extend their sector a helping hand as they face the possibility of a prolonged and protracted road to recovery even after the economy reopens. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Charities hope Liberals’ budget lends helping hand as sector eyes long recovery

OTTAWA — Canada’s charities are hoping the Liberals extend them a helping… Continue reading

Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Howard Njoo responds to a question about vaccines during a weekly news conference, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021 in Ottawa. Njoo says a faster vaccine ramp-up alone would likely not have thwarted the third wave of COVID-19 in many parts of the country. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Faster vaccines alone could not have stopped third wave: deputy public health officer

A top federal public health official says a faster vaccine ramp-up alone… Continue reading

WestJet president and CEO Ed Sims addresses the airline’s annual meeting in Calgary, Tuesday, May 7, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
WestJet CEO Ed Sims finds Air Canada aid package ‘bittersweet’ as talks drag on

OTTAWA — WestJet CEO Ed Sims says the federal government’s aid package… Continue reading

British Columbia Premier John Horgan (centre, blue jacket) is drummed into the Lower Post Residential School by Kaska drummers in Lower Post, B.C. on Orange Shirt Day in a 2019 handout photo. A former residential school building known as a place of pain and fear for residents of the remote British Columbia community of Lower Post will be demolished and replaced after decades of lobbying efforts by local Indigenous leaders. The federal and B.C. governments say construction on a new $13.5 building project is set to start in June and expected to be complete next year. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Manu Keggenhoff MANDATORY CREDIT
Residential school building at Lower Post, B.C., to be demolished, replaced

VICTORIA — A former residential school building in the remote British Columbia… Continue reading

A 60-year-old COVID-19 patient fights for his life, desperately gasping for air as head intensivist Dr. Ali Ghafouri, centre, provides life saving medical care in an emergency situation in the intensive care unit at the Humber River Hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic in Toronto on Tuesday, April 13, 2021. The patient was intubated and put on a ventilator successfully. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
‘Sicker and younger’: Toronto ICU copes with pressure during third wave of pandemic

TORONTO — Intensive care nurse Jane Abas is assessing her patient, checking… Continue reading

FILE - NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman speaks during the “Topping Off” ceremony of the New York Islanders new home, the UBS Arena at Belmont Park in Elmont, N.Y., Friday, Oct. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Mary Altaffer
Islanders close to selling out inaugural season at UBS Arena

Arena capacity of about 17,000 for hockey

Most Read