SaskTel preps for Bell takeover of MTS

Saskatchewan’s provincially owned telecommunications company says it has strategies to address the risk

REGINA — Saskatchewan’s provincially owned telecommunications company says it has strategies to address the risk posed by Bell Media’s proposed takeover of Manitoba Telecom Services.

SaskTel says the $3.9 billion MTS (TSX:MBT) and Bell (TSX:BCE) deal — if approved — represents regulatory, competitive and financial risks for SaskTel. But the company says most of the risks existed before the deal and have already been assessed.

“SaskTel is a competitive regional carrier and it will need to remain competitive going forward in the face of a rapidly changing industry. The BCE/MTS deal does not change this fundamental situation although it heightens the risks,” SaskTel said in a document released Monday.

The report was SaskTel’s response to an assessment released in June which said the takeover poses serious risks to SaskTel.

The assessment said the reduced number of carriers in Manitoba could lead the federal government to create incentives for additional wireless competition. Such measures could reduce costs for competitors and increase costs or restrict expansion for SaskTel, it said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COVID-19: First death confirmed in central zone, provincial cases reach 1,250

Alberta government confirmed a first death in the central zone Sunday. The… Continue reading

COVID-19 case reported at supermarket in Wetaskiwin

Sobeys will not release names to protect employees

WATCH: Red Deer emergency call centre hours change starting next week

Hours at the City of Red Deer’s COVID-19 emergency call centre will… Continue reading

Alberta Health Services provides COVID-19 prevention tips

Alberta Health Services has a number of recommendations for people amid the… Continue reading

Alberta government website has latest COVID-19 statistics

Red Deer Advocate readers can stay up to date on the COVID-19… Continue reading

Quebec Walmart worker struck by driver allegedly angered by COVID-19 measures

SHERBROOKE, Que. — A Walmart security guard from southern Quebec was fighting… Continue reading

Boeing to continue production shutdown due to coronavirus

Company is extending its planned two-week shutdown

Bars, cannabis sector eligible for $40B credit program from government bank

Applicants must go through their own banks to access the program

Actress-activist Shirley Douglas, daughter of medicare’s Tommy Douglas, dies

‘Sadly she had been battling for her health for quite some time’

Canada looking to disinfect used masks, Tam asks they not be thrown away

Best defence against COVID-19 is to stay home as much as possible, wash their hands frequently

With workers at home, feds eye ways to fast-track training program, groups say

How to help workers stuck at home or out of work to prevent their skills from becoming

Most Read