Chinese president Xi Jinping promised more gradual market-opening steps on Nov. 5, 2019. (Photo by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Chinese president Xi Jinping promised more gradual market-opening steps on Nov. 5, 2019. (Photo by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Xi promises gradual opening of Chinese markets to investment

SHANGHAI — President Xi Jinping promised more gradual market-opening steps at the start of an import fair Tuesday but no initiatives in technology and other irritants that sparked a tariff war with Washington.

The second China International Import Expo showcases the country’s vast import market of 1.4 billion people to help deflect complaints that it improperly subsidizes industries and shields them from competition. It offers a marketing platform for foreign suppliers of goods from wine to yachts but does less for companies that already are established in China.

“The door that China is opening will only open further and wider,” Xi said in a speech to an audience that included French President Emmanuel Macron and prime ministers of Greece, Jamaica and Serbia.

Xi affirmed promises to reduce restrictions on foreign investment and an offer, first made in June, to accelerate work on a China-Europe investment treaty.

Beijing has announced a flurry of changes over the past two years to make its slowing, state-dominated economy more productive. They include cutting import tariffs and abolishing limits on foreign ownership in auto manufacturing, finance and other fields.

None of the changes addresses U.S., European and other complaints about technology policies and other irritants that prompted President Donald Trump to hike tariffs on Chinese imports, setting off a trade war that threatens to chill global growth.

Xi made no mention of the battle with Washington but called for building and “open and shared world economy.”

Macron expressed concern about the global impact of U.S.-Chinese tension and hope for a prompt settlement.

“The trade war only results in losers,” Macron said in a speech. He expressed hope for settlement that will “safeguard the interests of China’s and the United States’ other major trading partners, starting with the European Union.”

American and Chinese announced what Trump called a “first phase” agreement on Oct. 12 after talks in Washington. Envoys are negotiating the details. The two sides have reported no progress on their biggest disputes and economists say a final settlement is unlikely this year.

In a conference call Tuesday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said he was “reasonably optimistic” that the Phase 1 talks would be finished. More difficult issues would wait for later rounds, he said.

“We’re hoping Phase 1 will be a precursor of later agreements,” Ross said.

Trump and Xi were due to meet at this month’s gathering of Asia-Pacific leaders in Chile but the event was cancelled due to protests there. That dented hopes a meeting might produce progress, but the Chinese government says the two leaders “maintain contact.”

Ross said the two sides were looking for an alternative venue for a meeting.

The European Union is looking for “real, substantial” progress on the investment treaty before an EU-China summit in the second half of 2020, the EU Delegation in Beijing said in a statement.

“We want an ambitious agreement that grants wider market access, robust investment protection, greater predictability for our companies and commitments on sustainability,” the statement said.

Beijing is trying to shore up consumer demand after economic growth sank to a multi-decade low of 6% over a year ago in the latest quarter.

The ruling Communist Party is looking to consumers to propel economic growth, replacing trade and investment. But shoppers are uneasy about the trade war and possible job losses. They are spending less, which has battered sales of autos, real estate and other goods.

Chinese imports were off 5% from a year earlier in the first nine months of the year, down from double-digit growth in previous years. Imports of American soybeans and other goods were off 26.4% following Chinese tariff hikes and orders to importers to find other suppliers.

Business groups welcome greater access to Chinese consumers but express frustration Beijing is removing market restrictions one at a time instead of throwing open its economy 18 years after it joined the free-trading World Trade Organization in 2001.

Many changes are in industries with entrenched Chinese competitors. Newcomers face high minimum capital requirements and other restrictions.

This week’s import fair highlights Beijing’s emphasis on trade in food and manufactured goods, an area dominated by Chinese factories. Its trading partners complain that is antiquated and too narrow. They want more access to finance, health care and other service industries and an end to curbs that block most foreign purchases of Chinese companies and other assets.

Opening services, an American strength, would target “a priority for the U.S. government — reducing the bilateral trade deficit,” said Jake Parker, a vice-president of the U.S.-China Business Council, in an email.

Still, American companies were “pleasantly surprised” by commercial opportunities at last year’s Import Expo, said Parker. He said coverage of the event by state television helped companies to promote themselves.

The Shanghai expo also gives Beijing a chance to repair its image as a positive force for development following complaints its multibillion-dollar “Belt and Road” construction initiative leaves host countries in Asia and Africa with too much debt.

Uncertainty caused by trade disputes is the “leading drag” on commerce and investment, said WTO managing director Roberto Azevedo.

“We cannot afford to let this continue,” Azevedo said. He called for a “more stable and more predictable trading system, an international economy with more integration, not less.”

By The Associated Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

(File photo by Advocate staff)
Zero tax increase approved by Red Deer city council for 2021 and 2022

City council passed operating budgets for the next two years on Thursday

Red Deer city council approved a $39.6 million police budget for 2021, up for inflationary reasons from $37.9 million in 2020. (Black Press file photo).
Red Deer city council retains police funding, while also launching a crisis team

De-funding police is not a conversation in this municipality

Alberta reported an additional 1,854 cases of COVID-19 Thursday. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases - Rocky Mountain Laboratories)
Red Deer has 289 active cases of COVID-19

Province now has 17,743 active cases

The Cambridge Hotel and Conference Centre in Red Deer has new owners. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Cambridge Hotel in Red Deer has new ownership group

‘They’re making an investment in this iconic hotel for the future,’ says general manager Gil Vallee

The new Gasoline Alley Farmers Market officially opened on Saturday. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Gasoline Alley brewery a collaboration between brewers and farmers

Red Deer County’s newest brewery has been built from the ground up… Continue reading

Dan Cochrane, senior pastor at CrossRoads Church. Contributed photo
CrossRoads Church closes its doors for two weeks after staff member tests positive for COVID-19

CrossRoads Church made the decision to cancel in-house services for two weeks… Continue reading

Arlen Dumas, grand chief of the Manitoba Assembly of Chiefs, speaks during an Assembly of First Nations annual general meeting in Regina on Thursday, July 27, 2017. As a second wave of COVID-19 washes over the First Nations population with disproportionate and deadly impacts, leaders and health professionals are facing an extra challenge. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mark Taylor
Gaining trust: History of Indigenous experiments poses challenge in COVID health

Gaining trust: History of Indigenous experiments poses challenge in COVID health

Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance responds to a question during a news conference Friday, June 26, 2020 in Ottawa. Vance is ordering his troops to be ready to pick up COVID-19 vaccines in the U.S. and Europe on short notice, and prepare to help distribute the doses while responding to floods and other emergencies. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Feds, provinces to stage distribution dry run as approval of first vaccine imminent

Feds, provinces to stage distribution dry run as approval of first vaccine imminent

People line up at a COVID-19 assessment centre during the COVID-19 pandemic in Scarborough, Ont., on Wednesday, December 2, 2020. Toronto and Peel region continue to be in lockdown. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
COVID-19 vaccine approval could be days away as pressures mount on health-care system

COVID-19 vaccine approval could be days away as pressures mount on health-care system

A mother and her son, shown in this undated handout image provided by Kristy Wolfe Photography, communicate using a PECS binder about what is happening next in their day. A new report from British Columbia's representative for children and youth says the COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated long-standing problems with the province's support systems for those with so-called special needs, leaving families feeling abandoned. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Kristy Wolfe Photography *MANDATORY CREDIT*
Children and youth with special needs ‘left out’ of pandemic response: B.C. watchdog

Children and youth with special needs ‘left out’ of pandemic response: B.C. watchdog

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney makes an announcement at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. The Prairies have become the epicentre of the second wave of COVID-19 in Canada with exponential growth in cases linked to pandemic fatigue and a reluctance to impose stricter health measures in the fall, infectious disease experts say. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Twist of fate: Prairie provinces become COVID-19 hot spot in pandemic’s second wave

Twist of fate: Prairie provinces become COVID-19 hot spot in pandemic’s second wave

The Bond Fire, driven by high winds, burns the hillsides west of Santiago Canyon Road near Silverado Canyon, Calif., on Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. (Leonard Ortiz/The Orange County Register via AP)
Wind fans wildfire in California canyons, residents flee

Wind fans wildfire in California canyons, residents flee

In this photo provided by the United Nations, Volkan Bozkir, President of the seventy-fifth session of the United Nations General Assembly, chairs the General Assembly: General Debate, during the 75th session of the United Nations General Assembly, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, at UN headquarters in New York. The U.N.'s first virtual meeting of world leaders started Tuesday with pre-recorded speeches from some of the planet's biggest powers, kept at home by the coronavirus pandemic that will likely be a dominant theme at their video gathering this year. (Rick Bajornas/UN Photo via AP)
UN chief: Vaccine can’t undo damage from global pandemic

UN chief: Vaccine can’t undo damage from global pandemic

This image released by Warner Bros. Pictures shows Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in a scene from "Wonder Woman 1984." The film isn't skipping theaters or moving to 2021, but it is altering course. The last big blockbuster holdout of 2020 is still opening in U.S. theaters on Christmas Day but it will also be made available to HBO Max subscribers free of charge for its first month, Warner Bros. said Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020. (Clay Enos/Warner Bros Pictures via AP)
In seismic shift, Warner Bros. to stream all 2021 films

In seismic shift, Warner Bros. to stream all 2021 films

Most Read