Michael Dawe: The long career of Red Deer Police Chief Charles Anderson

Photo courtesy of Red Deer Archives Red Deer’s police chief, Charles Anderson, in 1911.

There has recently been considerable debate as to whether Red Deer should create a city police department, replacing the long-standing contract with the RCMP to provide municipal policing services. What is often forgotten is, for many years, Red Deer had its own police department.

The career of Red Deer Police Chief Charles Anderson provides some indication of the benefits and challenges of having a city police force.

The Red Deer Police Department was created in 1901, shortly after the community was incorporated as a town. Originally, it was a very small operation with only one or two constables and only basic equipment.

Red Deer started to grow very rapidly in 1905. Charles Anderson, originally from Kinnetless, Scotland, was one of the newcomers. He soon got a job with the public works department.

With the population of Red Deer soaring, the police department was rapidly expanded. Anderson became one of the new constables. He and his fellow officers had their work cut out for them. The number of criminal cases jumped from 35 to nearly 250 in two years.

The police department faced a number of challenges besides the escalating crime rate. It was a challenge to quickly find good men to hire. Those who were hired often lacked proper training.

Discipline in the police department was a serious issue. In February 1912, two constables had to be fired after they pulled their revolvers on each other during an argument in a bar. In 1913, after a late night brawl at a local restaurant, city council fired the police chief.

Charles Anderson, who had risen to the position of deputy chief, had already left Red Deer to take the position of chief constable in Strathmore.

With the chief’s position suddenly becoming open in Red Deer, he was persuaded to return and take on the job.

He soon got better control over the department, in part by letting the troublesome constables go. However, he still faced severe problems. When the great boom broke, city council began to lay off members of the force for budgetary reasons.

With the outbreak of the First World War, constables began to quit to enlist. Anderson himself enlisted in the 187 Battalion in June 1916. City council decided not to permanently fill his position, but rather, to appoint interim chiefs. That assured Anderson his job would be waiting for him when he returned home, but it also helped the city save more money.

When Anderson returned from overseas, he resumed his position as police chief. However, the economy was shattered by the war. Several social problems also arose, including the enforcement of the Prohibition laws on alcohol.

The city veered towards bankruptcy. Taxes were hiked, but arrears soared. There were more layoffs of city staff, including members of the police department. Wages were slashed. Nevertheless, the situation kept getting worse through 1922.

In 1922, the situation with the police department reached a crisis point. Some councillors wanted to see if the Alberta Provincial Police could take over most of the city’s policing operations. More layoffs and salary cuts were proposed.

Anderson already faced growing criticism over his strong enforcement of liquor laws and the rules on such controversial businesses as pool halls.

Finally, he had enough and got a new job as the police chief in Fernie, B.C.

Anderson was very popular with the general public. City council faced a real backlash over its previous criticisms of his performance. Pressure was put on council to do whatever was needed to keep Anderson in Red Deer.

He was offered a big increase in salary, but declined as that would cause problems with others who were still facing pay cuts. He tried to be diplomatic about his relationship with some members of city council. However, he finally let it be known he was quite hurt by complaints for doing his job properly, instead of “going easy” on some prominent people.

Anderson left. A.T. Streatfield of Nanton was hired to take his place. City councillors continued to feel the backlash of “letting a good man go.” The morale of the remaining city police, which was back down to a couple of constables, remained very low.

Red Deer historian Michael Dawe’s column appears Wednesdays.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Recollections of well-known families in Red Deer

Past and present families recognized on Family Day

Assault suspect nabbed with sawed-off shotgun

Rocky Mountain House RCMP conduct investigation

New highway to B.C. proposed

The Howse Pass shortcut to British Columbia is worth taking another look… Continue reading

Red Deer RCMP execute search warrant

Heavy police presence on Nash Street

Your community calendar

Feb. 19 A Liberation of Holland event is being held at the… Continue reading

Reader’s opinion: Here’s how Premier Kenney can build a stronger Alberta

Apparently, the UPC government has decided that most seniors should pay more… Continue reading

Tournament of Hearts veteran skip Kerry Galusha curls through pain

MOOSE JAW, Sask. — If Kerry Galusha is skipping Northwest Territories at… Continue reading

Andrew Mangiapane scores first hat trick, leads Flames over Ducks 6-4

Flames 6 Ducks 4 CALGARY — Andrew Mangiapane was front and centre… Continue reading

Mielke: Small town Alberta great place to live

There is something to be said for living in small town, Alberta.… Continue reading

Trudeau tightlipped on plan to end protests ‘quickly and peacefully’

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was tightlipped Monday about his plan… Continue reading

Red Deer Rebels end B.C. road trip with win over Prince George

Rebels 4 Cougars 2 The Red Deer Rebels finished the B.C. road… Continue reading

Bombardier to sell train unit to France’s Alstom, shedding biggest division

MONTREAL — Bombardier Inc. has reached a US$8.2-billion deal to sell its… Continue reading

Most Read