Court records detail Spacey’s encounter with teenager

BOSTON — A Massachusetts man who says he was groped by Kevin Spacey at a Nantucket restaurant in 2016 caught part of his encounter with the actor on video, according to court records.

The then 18-year-old man sent a video via Snapchat to his girlfriend that allegedly showed Spacey touching the front of his pants, according to a state police report filed in Nantucket District Court and obtained by the Cape Cod Times .

Spacey’s lawyers said at a show-cause hearing last week the video shows someone’s hand touching another person’s shirt, but does not show anyone being groped, according to The Boston Globe , which obtained an audio recording of the hearing.

Spacey, 59, faces arraignment Jan. 7 on a charge of indecent assault and battery.

The case came to light in November 2017 when former Boston news anchor Heather Unruh announced that Spacey had groped her son.

In trying to get a court clerk magistrate to rule there wasn’t enough evidence for Spacey to be charged, Los Angeles-based attorney Alan Jackson pointed out that Unruh’s son did not report the allegations to police right way, lied about his age saying he was 23, and said he was so intoxicated he may have blacked out shortly after Spacey allegedly groped him. Jackson also said Unruh’s son made no effort to move away from Spacey.

Unruh said in a news conference last year that her son didn’t go to authorities sooner because of fear and embarrassment.

The alleged victim told police that it was hard to move away in the crowded restaurant, where he worked as a bus boy but was off duty at the time.

Neither Spacey nor his lawyers have addressed the allegation publicly, but Spacey did release a video Monday in the voice of Frank Underwood, his character on Netflix’s “House of Cards” in which he said, “I’m certainly not going to pay the price for the thing I didn’t do.”

It was unclear whether he was addressing the criminal charge.

If convicted, Spacey faces up to five years in prison.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Federal wage subsidy plan will help businesses say central Alberta business representatives

Prime minister says businesses losing 30 per cent in revenue eligible for 75 per cent wage subsidy

Alberta COVID-19 update scheduled this afternoon

Alberta update on latest COVID-19 cases is at 4:30 p.m. Monday. Dr.… Continue reading

UPDATED: Alberta doctors send letter asking government to delay health-care restructuring

“COVID-19 is spreading like a wildfire in this province”

A message from the Advocate publisher

In good times and bad, The Red Deer Advocate has been here… Continue reading

Community facilities await summer opening

Red Deerians attracted to city trails

Alberta Health Services provides COVID-19 prevention tips

Alberta Health Services has a number of recommendations for people amid the… Continue reading

Alberta government website has latest COVID-19 statistics

Red Deer Advocate readers can stay up to date on the COVID-19… Continue reading

Newspapers are safe to touch, World Health Organization confirms

Just make sure to wash your hands, as you would after touching any surface or object

David Marsden: Signs of kindness lift our spirits during COVID-19 pandemic

From teddy bears, to colourful cutouts of hearts, to expressions of support… Continue reading

COVID-19 spreads to vulnerable communities as new provinces report deaths

Tragedy struck one nursing home in Ontario, where seven people have died of COVID-19

Charities seek extra help from feds to keep services running as revenues dry up

Donations expected to decline between $4.2 billion and $6.3 billion

COVID-19 pandemic forces City of Lacombe to temporarily layoff 50 staff members

City hopes to bring back staff after the end of the crisis

Delay in tackling COVID-19 adds mightily to death toll

The basic choice all along with COVID-19 has been: do we let… Continue reading

Most Read