Visual artists at work will welcome the public into their creative spaces during Red Deer’s first Open Studio Tour.
Nine local artists from seven studios will be holding demonstrations and offering original pieces for show and sale from 1-4 p.m. on June 25.
The self-guided, free tour is open to anyone who wants a peek at the creative process, said Diana Anderson, executive-director for the Red Deer Arts Council.
She’s “thrilled” to co-ordinate the first-ever event, which will hopefully become an annual tradition that grows every year.
Anderson believes the studio tour will help fill an artistic void left by the demise of the Art Walk celebration, which brought artists booths into a city park for one day. While only one artist demonstration was held at each Art Walk, the tour will present the public with many opportunities to see artists at work.
A draw can be entered at each studio location for the chance to win an original work from each artist.
Participating studios are on a downloadable map on the Red Deer Arts Council website (reddeerartscouncil.wordpress.com), the art council’s Facebook page, or through the City of Red Deer’s Culture Services Centre.
The studios are:
• Candice Meyer Jewelry, unique sterling silver and gold overlay pieces by Candice Meyer, 4309 Grandview Blvd., www.candicemeyerjewelry.etsy.com, 403-356-9222.
• Sally’s Gallery, mixed-media and caligraphy works by Sally Towers-Sybblis, 5 Wright Ave., www.sallytowerssybblis.com, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Works in Clay, ceramics by Shirley Rimer, 24 Springfield Ave., email: email@example.com
• Sparrow Glassworks, artisan glass and beadwork by Darren and Deborah Petersen, 5331-44 Ave., 403-346-1975
• Silk Concepts, hand-painted silk garments and art by Darcy Gusse Edinga, 152 Allwright Close, www.silkconcepts.ca, 403-347-9391.
• Rogue Art and Design, sculpture, mosaic, photography, fabric and glass art by Trenton Thomas Leach and Holly Elliott, 4026 Ross St. (back alley entry, next to Little Ice Cream and Soda Shop), www.rogueartanddesign.com, 403-755-1548.
• Spirit of Clay Ceramics by Suzanne Le Beau, 30 Manning St. (studio is in detached garage), email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 403-342-6344.
After the tour, the Red Deer Arts Council will also host a meet-the-artists public reception later that Saturday. To RSVP and find out time and location, please phone 403-348-2787.