This week we launch our eight-part Q & A with the 2018 class of the Sheraton Celebrity Dance Off.
Celebrity: Duane Daines
Partner: Natalie Brooks
Born and raised in Innisfail, Duane was about four years old when his father sat him on his first horse.
His tireless work ethic has resulted in a 17-year professional rodeo career that produced 13 Canadian Finals Rodeo appearances.
1. How would you describe yourself as a dancer before this experience?
I am not a dancer. I’m in a wheelchair. I haven’t danced for 22 years.
2. What was the most challenging part you overcame/hope to overcome?
We’re still figuring that out because I am in a wheelchair and Natalie, my dance partner —– she has never danced with anybody in a wheelchair, either. Both of us have never done it. It’s new for both of us.
3. What is the one fear you have when you dance in front of the crowd?
I don’t want to start out and slip and end up upside down in the middle of the dance floor.
4. When this experience is behind you, what will you remember the most/miss the most?
It is a lot more work than I anticipated but really good experience. A little harder than I thought it was going to be.
5. Would you call yourself a dancer now and in the future?
No and no. It’s a one-time deal.
How to donate: www.celebritydanceoff.ca