Entertainment briefs – October 28

The next Batman sequel has a title: The Dark Knight Rises. Distributor Warner Bros. confirmed the name for director Christopher Nolan’s third adventure about the DC Comics vigilante hero, which follows Batman Begins in 2005 and The Dark Knight in 2008.

‘Batman’ sequel to be called ‘The Dark Knight Rises’

LOS ANGELES — The next Batman sequel has a title: The Dark Knight Rises.

Distributor Warner Bros. confirmed the name for director Christopher Nolan’s third adventure about the DC Comics vigilante hero, which follows Batman Begins in 2005 and The Dark Knight in 2008.

The Dark Knight Rises is due in theatres July 20, 2012.

Bucking Hollywood’s current wave of 3-D movies, Nolan is not planning to shoot the film in 3-D.

Warner Bros. had agreed with Nolan’s argument that the sequel should resist the 3-D craze, the director told the Los Angeles Times’ Hero Complex blog, which first reported the title.

Nolan would not reveal what villain might appear in The Dark Knight Rises, but he said it would not be the Riddler, one of the key bad guys in the comics and past film and TV Batman tales.

Earlier this year, Nolan said he would not resurrect the Joker, the cackling villain played by Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Ledger won the supporting-actor Academy Award for the role, a year after he died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.


Original Darth Vader costume for sale in London

LONDON — The Force can be with you — for a price.

Christie’s auction house says it is selling an original Darth Vader costume from the Star Wars movie franchise.

The jet-black helmet, mask and armour worn by the intergalactic villain are expected to sell for between 160,000 pounds and 230,000 pounds (US$250,000 and $365,000) at a sale of pop culture memorabilia next month.

Christie’s said Wednesday that the costume is thought to have been made for The Empire Strikes Back, the second film in George Lucas’s sci-fi series, released in 1980.

Christie’s did not name the owner, identified only as an American private collector.

The sale takes place Nov. 25 in London.


‘Hobbit’ films to be made in New Zealand

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — Two $500 million Hobbit movies will be made in New Zealand as originally planned, Prime Minister John Key said Wednesday, after two days of crisis talks with Hollywood studio executives.

Senior executives from Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema won an agreement for a change in labour law and bigger tax breaks to keep the project in New Zealand after a dispute over pay and conditions for actors threw the production into turmoil last week.

The studios had warned that unless the threat of labour action was removed, production of the two movies would be moved to another country.

The dispute became a national issue in New Zealand, which received a huge boost to its tourism and film-making industries after The Lord of the Rings trilogy was made here. Hundreds of people marched in several cities Monday to show their support for keeping production in New Zealand.

The Hobbit is J.R.R. Tolkien’s prequel to The Lord of the Rings.

Key says the package includes an extra tax break of NZ$20 million ($15 million) for the studios, on top of $45 million pledged by the government.