Harvey Weinstein’s accusers ‘refuse to be silenced’ on eve of criminal trial

With Harvey Weinstein’s criminal trial slated to begin within days, two dozen of his accusers have issued a statement about the disgraced movie producer, signaling their intentions to continue to speak out.

“Next week, the world will be watching as Harvey Weinstein walks into court to stand trial for a fraction of the egregious crimes he has committed,” said the Silence Breakers, a group comprised of many of his accusers, in a statement Friday. “Weinstein is a serial predator who sexually abused women for decades, taking advantage of his power and connections to systematically silence the women who could bring his crimes to light.

“More than two years ago — thanks to the courage of so many women who risked everything to come forward — this ugly facade came down and he finally faced a public and professional reckoning for his actions. This trial is critical to show that predators everywhere will be held accountable and that speaking up can bring about real change. We refuse to be silenced and will continue to speak out until this unrepentant abuser is brought to justice.”

A representative for the ex-mogul could not be immediately reached for comment.

Weinstein faces charges of sexual assault involving multiple women in New York City on Jan. 6. He has denied engaging in nonconsensual sex with women.

In December, Weinstein was widely criticized for calling himself “the forgotten man” in an interview with the New York Post and citing how many women he helped during his career. The comments triggered a swift backlash, including a formal statement signed by 23 of his accusers.

The Silence Breakers include Rosanna Arquette, Jessica Barth, Zoe Brock, Rowena Chiu, Caitlin Dulany, Dawn Dunning, Lucia Evans, Louisette Geiss, Louise Goodbold, Larissa Gomes, Dominique Huett, Katherine Kendall, Jasmine Lobe, Sarah Ann Masse, Rose McGowan, Emily Nestor, Lauren O’Connor, Tomi-Ann Roberts, Lisa Rose, Erika Rosenbaum, Lauren Sivan, Melissa Thompson and Paula Williams.

Last month, the Times reported that Los Angeles District attorney’s office has escalated its review into eight cases against Weinstein and is considering filing criminal charges against him.

Weinstein and his former film studio’s board have reached a controversial $47-million settlement with several women who have accused him of sexual misconduct, according to attorneys involved in the negotiations.

About $25 million will be allocated to the accusers, $7.3 million to unsecured creditors and former Weinstein Co. employees and about $12.2 million will be earmarked to pay legal fees of the studio’s directors and officers, according to a copy of the settlement term sheet obtained by The Times. The Weinstein Co. filed for bankruptcy protection in March 2018.

Weinstein, the producer behind such Oscar-winning hits as “Shakespeare in Love,” “Chicago” and “The King’s Speech,” was fired from his company in October 2017 after dozens of women accused him of sexual misconduct.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The number of active cases of COVID-19 in the province sat at 4,477 Monday afternoon, up 826 from Friday’s 3,651, said Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw. File photo
COVID-19: Central zone active cases up Monday

Alberta reported 1,440 new COVID-19 cases on Monday from over the weekend,… Continue reading

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Three Red Deer based dealerships have donated $10,000 to various local organizations including the food bank. (File Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Three Red Deer car dealerships help organizations in need

Three Red Deer automobile dealerships have come together to donate $10,000 to… Continue reading

“Our members have decided they just can’t do this anymore. We’ve protected this province and you’ve treated us like dirt, so enough is enough,” says AUPE vice-president Bonnie Gostola, whose members protested outside the Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre on Momday. (Photo by SUSAN ZIELINSKI/Advocate staff)
Updated: Hospital workers strike in Red Deer

Some surgeries and ambulatory care clinics postponed around the province

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

The Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre could be affected by cuts to Alberta Health Services announced by the government Tuesday. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
David Marsden: Yes, we know how to do laundry

Union leaders would have us believe there’s something special about their members:… Continue reading

People sit at a restaurant in Piazza Navona, in Rome, Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. For at least the next month, people outdoors except for small children must now wear masks in all of Italy, gyms, cinemas, swimming pools, and movie theaters will be closed, ski slopes are off-limits to all but competitive skiers and cafes and restaurants must shut down in early evenings, under a decree signed on Sunday by Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte, who ruled against another severe lockdown despite a current surge in COVID-19 infections. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
French doctor warns his country has ‘lost control’ of virus

French doctor warns his country has ‘lost control’ of virus

People, most of them pensioners, hold old Belarusian national flags march during an opposition rally to protest the official presidential election results in Minsk, Russia, Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. Factory workers, students and business owners in Belarus have started a general strike, calling for authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko to resign after more than two months of mass protests triggered by a disputed election. (AP Photo)
Strikers in Belarus press for authoritarian leader’s ouster

Strikers in Belarus press for authoritarian leader’s ouster

Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato speaks during a press conference at the prime ministers office in Tokyo Monday, Oct. 26, 2020. Japan said it will not sign a U.N. treaty to ban nuclear weapons and did not even welcome its entry into force next year, rejecting wishes of atomic bombing survivors for their own government to join their move to achieve a nuclear free world.(Kyodo News via AP)
Japan rejects nuclear ban treaty; survivors to keep pushing

Japan rejects nuclear ban treaty; survivors to keep pushing

Wetaskiwin Hospital staff join AUPE walk outs across the province Monday Oct. 26, 2020. Shaela Dansereau/ The Pipestone Flyer.
City of Wetaskiwin health-care workers strike in protest of province-wide cuts

Wetaskiwin Hospital staff join other front line hospital workers across the province in walk-outs.

Under Trump, US no longer leads world on refugee protections

Under Trump, US no longer leads world on refugee protections

Vice President Mike Pence speaks to supporters Saturday Oct. 24, 2020 in Tallahassee, Fla. Battleground Florida was again a central focus of the presidential campaign Saturday as President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and former President Barack Obama all had high-profile events in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Cannon)
Barrett confirmed as Supreme Court justice in partisan vote

Barrett confirmed as Supreme Court justice in partisan vote

Most Read