Howie Mandel doc comes as the ‘nightmare’ he’s feared his whole life now plays out

Howie Mandel doc comes as the ‘nightmare’ he’s feared his whole life now plays out

TORONTO — Howie Mandel says he’s doing as well as one can expect a germaphobe to fare during a pandemic.

The Toronto-raised comedy star notes he’s relatively healthy and just finished another season as a judge on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent.”

And he’s looking forward to sharing his life story in the new documentary “Howie Mandel: But, Enough About Me,” which airs Oct. 12 on CTV and starts streaming on Crave the next day.

But the 64-year-old — who also has obsessive-compulsive disorder, ADHD and anxiety — can only see his grandchildren from a distance while wearing masks during COVID-19.

He says he deeply misses them and his other “lifeline” that lifts his spirits when he gets down — a live audience.

The JFL co-owner, who will appear in an online version of the Just For Laughs comedy festival this weekend, says he’s “having a really tough time” but considers himself lucky in some ways.

“I’ve done better than I’m doing right now, but I think we’re all coping and dealing,” Mandel said in a recent phone interview from his home in Los Angeles.

“I’ve sent my therapist into a whole new tax bracket and I’ve upped my meds. I’ve been lucky enough to be working, things are good, I have a family around me. But the nightmare I’ve been living for the last 64 years, which was only in my head, is now in the world.”

Canadian filmmaker Barry Avrich directed and executive produced the doc, which details Mandel’s rise from a northern Toronto suburb to the bright lights of Hollywood.

Cameras followed him around at various appearances in L.A. Avrich also drove him around Toronto and surprised him with impromptu stops at his old stomping grounds: his high school and childhood house, the restaurant where he proposed to his wife Terry, and the synagogue where they got married 40 years ago.

Then COVID-19 shut down the screen world, forcing Avrich and Mandel to switch to interviews via video conferencing. Later, they did socially distanced in-person chats, which isn’t that unusual for a germaphobe who keeps a distance from most people anyway.

“If you had been doing this documentary with me two years ago, it wouldn’t have looked that different, because that’s how I roll,” Mandel said. “The world is now rolling along with me.”

The doc has video footage of a young Mandel, who was a prankster as both a kid and a budding comedian, when he would pull a rubber glove over his head for laughs onstage at Yuk Yuk’s in Toronto.

“I didn’t have a lot of friends, so if I could do something outrageous, if I could do something bad and get yelled at, I just wanted to be noticed, because it would confirm that I was there,” he said.

But what started out as a way to make his friends crack up ended up eliciting laughs from the rest of the crowd.

“That laugh was like a warm blanket that I have been chasing every day, every moment since that April 1977.”

After selling carpets to make a living in Toronto, Mandel moved to Los Angeles, where gigs at The Comedy Store led to bookings at larger venues. He then landed TV appearances, including a role as a doctor on the medical drama series “St. Elsewhere” and voicing the title character in the animated series “Bobby’s World.”

“I always resented the fact that I had to leave Canada at that time to pay my rent,” Mandel said. “And any time Canada calls and I can do anything in Canada, I’ll jump. I’ll come home for a Swiss Chalet lunch.”

The former “Deal or No Deal” host opens up about his dark moments in life in the film, including the death of his father, and his OCD, which he first publicly revealed on Howard Stern’s radio show in 2006.

The film also delves into Mandel’s heart condition, atrial fibrillation, and includes footage of him in his hospital bed.

“When I accidentally blurted out my issues with mental health, that gave me the most humility and humanity that you could possibly have, in the sense that you realize that the human condition — the good, bad, ugly, the different — is shared,” he said.

Laughter from a live audience is Mandel’s “panacea,” he said. To fill that void during the pandemic, he’s “grasping at straws,” relying on digital platforms like TikTok to connect with audiences.

“For a guy that doesn’t like to touch anybody, I need to constantly touch a lot of people, and laughter touches me,” he said.

“As a professional, my job is to get noticed. And now it’s really hard to get noticed. That’s my lifeline. Laughter was my lifeline.”

And so are his grandchildren, he said, noting it hurts not being able to embrace them.

“There’s nothing like having somebody run up to you and give you a big hug,” Mandel said. “I don’t have that right now. Nobody does right now.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 8, 2020.

Victoria Ahearn, The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Hub on Ross has announced it has permanently closed. (Photo courtesy The Hub on Ross Facebook page)
The Hub on Ross in Red Deer to permanently close

The Hub on Ross in Red Deer permanently closed on Wednesday. “The… Continue reading

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopened earlier this month, after closing in March due to the pandemic. (Photo by Sean McIntosh/Advocate staff)
Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House reopens

The Red Deer Senior Citizens Downtown House was closed for months due… Continue reading

Guy Pelletier, vice-president of the Red Deer region for Melcor Developments. (Contributed photo).
Melcor has to redesign new neighbourhood after Molly Banister decision

City council disagreed with administration’s recommendation to scrap road plans

Alice Kolisnyk, deputy director of the Red Deer Food Bank, says the agency expects an increase in demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Every new subscription to the Red Deer Advocate includes a $50 donation to the food bank. (Photo by BYRON HACKETT/Advocate Staff)
Support the food bank with a subscription to the Red Deer Advocate

The community’s most vulnerable members are always in need of a hand,… Continue reading

Sergio Santos, right, of the Philadelphia Union, loses the race to the ball against goalie Quentin Westberg of Toronto FC during the first half of an MLS match Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, in Chester, Pa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Charles Fox/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP
Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Frustrated coach Greg Vanney defends banged-up Toronto FC after second straight loss

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Robert and third baseman Justin Turner pose for a group picture after defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 to win the baseball World Series in Game 6 Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, in Arlington, Texas. Sporting venues and games certainly have super-spreader potential but that risk can be minimized with buy-in from all involved, experts said Wednesday. The subject moved into the spotlight Wednesday after L.A. Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner tested positive for COVID-19 at the World Series. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Eric Gay
Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

Sports’ buy-in needed to prevent super-spreader potential: experts

In this image released by Fox, from left, Doug E. Doug, Malik Yoba, Rawle D. Lewis, John Candy and Leon are shown in a scene from the film "Cool Runnings." THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-HO, Fox
Not cool: Jamaican bobsledder wants thief to return stolen shell to Calgary bar

An original member of the Jamaican bobsled team featured in the 1993… Continue reading

Speedskater Ivanie Blondin trains at the Olympic Oval in Calgary on October 17, 2016. Canada's long-track speedskating team is chasing ice to Fort St. John, B.C. The country's top speedskaters have been without ice in Calgary's Olympic Oval since early September because of a mechanical failure there. World champions Ivanie Blondin, Graeme Fish and Ted-Jan Bloemen are among 50 people including coaches and support staff travelling to northern B.C. for a 15-day training camp starting Nov. 1. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

Canadian long-track speedskating team finds temporary home in B.C.

The "Great One," Wayne Gretzky, left, holds up a banner bearing his number with some help from his friend Joey Moss during a jersey retirement ceremony at Skyreach Centre in Edmonton on Firday, October 1, 1999. Former Oilers captain Kelly Buchberger remembers how a familiar friend would come "barrelling" into the visitors' dressing room when he returned to Edmonton. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Wayne Gretzky reflects on the life, legacy of Joey Moss: ‘He gave parents hope’

Players' sticks are shown during a World Championships Group A hockey game between Russia and Denmark, in Moscow, Russia, on Thursday, May 12, 2016. A $30-million settlement of three class actions over the failure to pay junior hockey players the minimum wage has been thrown into jeopardy after three judges refused to sign off on the agreement. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Ivan Sekretarev
Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Junior hockey employment lawsuit on thin ice; judges refuse to OK $30-million deal

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney answers questions at a news conference in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. Labour union leaders are urging Albertans to sign up to protest Premier Jason Kenney’s government through rallies and demonstrations and, if necessary, provincewide general strikes. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Alberta union leaders launch protest website against Kenney government

Most Read