Hedley performs during the Much Music Video Awards in Toronto. The members of the embattled rock band Hedley say they have withdrawn from consideration for three awards at this year’s Junos and plan to “talk about how we have let some people down, and what we intend to do about it.” (Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Junos not naming replacement nominees after Hedley withdraws from 3 categories

Music

Junos not naming replacement nominees after Hedley withdraws from 3 categories

The Juno Awards will not be naming replacement nominees now that embattled rockers Hedley have withdrawn from consideration for group of the year, pop album of the year and the fan choice prize.

The Vancouver pop-rockers said they did not “wish to be a distraction at Canadian music’s biggest night” as they continue to face sexual misconduct allegations posted by anonymous social media users.

The band — which has a total of 31 Juno nominations dating back to 2006 and two wins — said in a statement Monday that it was soldiering on with its cross-Canada tour but preparing “to take responsibility and talk about how we have let some people down and what we intend to do about it.”

The band’s members previously called allegations involving young fans “unsubstantiated” but acknowledged they “engaged in a lifestyle that incorporated certain rock ‘n’ roll cliches.”

The Junos said in a statement released Tuesday that no alternates would be added to the categories affected by Hedley’s withdrawal because voting began Feb. 9.

A spokeswoman for the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences said no one from the organization was available for an interview. She said votes already registered for Hedley will be thrown out, but voters will not be asked to submit a new ballot.

It was last Wednesday that Hedley first responded to the allegations that had been posted online. By Friday, the group was dropped by its management team, blacklisted by scores of radio stations, and abandoned by the bands who were booked as its tour openers.

In a statement released Monday, the band said it wouldn’t be cancelling the shows it has booked through March 23 because “the easy thing to do would be to cancel the tour and hide.”

“We want to ensure that everyone understands our collective commitment to change, and to do better, is real. Saying a rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle was to blame — or saying certain things happened because we were younger — isn’t good enough. We owe it to our families, our crew, our friends — and most of all, our fans — to do and be better,” the statement reads, adding that the band will be saying more “in the coming days.”

The former MuchMusic darlings — fronted by Jacob Hoggard and including Dave Rosin, Tommy Mac and Jay Benison — played in Barrie, Ont., on Monday and were scheduled to hit Ottawa on Tuesday, Laval, Que., on Wednesday, Halifax on Friday and Summerside, P.E.I., on Saturday.

According a video posted to YouTube on Sunday and purportedly shot at Hedley’s concert Friday night in Brandon, Man., Hoggard thanked the crowd for “believing in us.”

Just Posted

Rebels drop home opener to Oil Kings

The Edmonton Oil Kings were simply better than the Red Deer Rebels… Continue reading

RDC Kings topple Medicine Hat College Rattlers

Kings Matheus Alves scores twice in the win

Grassroots movement to clean up Red Deer is gaining momentum

Homeless people need more attention than shopping carts, says former councillor Cindy Jefferies

Improving life for people with Alzheimer’s and their families is a priority for Raitt

The federal Conservatives deputy leader is dealing with the disease in her own home

PHOTO: International Peace Day

Visitors broke bread, made crafts and trading cards at a gathering marking… Continue reading

RDC Kings topple Medicine Hat College Rattlers

Kings Matheus Alves scores twice in the win

Saskatchewan RCMP charge man in abduction that sparked Amber Alert last Sunday

NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. — Saskatchewan RCMP have arrested a man following an… Continue reading

One dead following police-involved shooting in Burlington, Ont.

BURLINGTON, Ont. — Ontario’s police watchdog says a 32-year-old man was shot… Continue reading

Several injured as Tornado tears through Ottawa and Gatineau, Que.

OTTAWA — A tornado ripped through the Ottawa area Friday afternoon, damaging… Continue reading

B.C. wildfires burned large areas affected by mountain pine beetles: Experts

VANCOUVER — Clearing or burning beetle ravaged forests may be costly but… Continue reading

Dustin Byfuglien scores in overtime, Jets beat Flames 4-3 in pre-season

WINNIPEG — Bryan Little tied the game late in the third and… Continue reading

Mistrial denied in Calgary murder trial over jury’s visit to hotel Denny’s

CALGARY — A Calgary judge has denied a request for a mistrial… Continue reading

Former Canadian astronaut says space shuttle is a vehicle of hope

OTTAWA — Sending messages of hope from space is a big part… Continue reading

Canada requests trade panel on uncoated groundwood paper ruling by U.S.

OTTAWA — Canada has requested a NAFTA trade panel review a U.S.… Continue reading

Most Read