Quebec minister blames ‘intolerant’ sovereigntist fringe for concert brouhaha

MONTREAL — An attempt to banish two English-speaking bands from a Fete nationale concert drew widespread criticism Monday, prompting a main sponsor to offer a different explanation for saying it wanted to dump them.

MONTREAL — An attempt to banish two English-speaking bands from a Fete nationale concert drew widespread criticism Monday, prompting a main sponsor to offer a different explanation for saying it wanted to dump them.

Lake of Stew and Bloodshot Bill were on the verge of being dropped after the sponsor, l’Association culturelle Louis-Hebert, reportedly threatened to pull its funding from the event because of the presence of English.

But late Monday, the association distanced itself from the language-related comments of one of its directors that appeared to have sparked the brouhaha.

A spokesman pointed to possible protests at the June 23 event as the No. 1 reason for the proposed lineup change.

“There have been some rumours of a demonstration and we didn’t want to compromise the festive and familial character of the event,” said Julien Larocque-Dupont, adding the threats were aimed directly at the presence of the English acts.

“We had concerns that the city would cancel the event if there was a threat of a demonstration.”

C4 Productions, the Montreal concert promoter that booked the lineup, is sticking by its choices for the concert — dubbed L’Autre St-Jean.

The concert is being billed as an alternative to the larger annual St-Jean-Baptiste bash in Montreal and is to be held in the working-class, French-speaking neighbourhood of Rosemont Petite-Patrie.

The promoter and sponsors hope the concert can go on peacefully, but a final joint decision on whether Lake of Stew and Bloodshot Bill can play will be made on Wednesday.

The production company says the anglophone acts will play only 40 minutes in the six-hour show, which will include a number of popular Quebec musical acts.

C4 Productions was sent an email last week saying l’Association culturelle Louis-Hebert disagreed with the show’s philosophy and threatened to block its financing.

Quebec Culture Minister Christine St-Pierre called that move the actions of the “intolerant” sovereigntist fringe.

She said the bands are no less Quebecois just because they perform mainly in English.

“I find it very sad because of the message it sends: it sends a message of intolerance,” St-Pierre said.

“It’s telling certain people in Quebec that ’you’re not invited to the fete because you’re anglophone.”’

Her Parti Quebecois counterpart, Pierre Curzi, said the group was off base by seeking to exclude the English bands.

“Maybe their intentions were good, but they need to reconsider this bad decision,” Curzi said.

“I think it’s great that anglophone bands want to take part in the Fete nationale. It shows that our society is open.”

Just Posted

Scares and chills await at haunted house in Red Deer

Zed Haunted House helps raise money for Boys and Girls Club of Red Deer District

PHOTO: Renewable Energy Fair at Red Deer College

The Renewable Energy Fair and Workshops event was held at Red Deer… Continue reading

PHOTOS: Red Deer College Queens host third annual Pink in the Rink game

Queens raised $12,035 for the Central Alberta Cancer Centre.

PHOTOS: The Mustard Seed CEO speaks at Seeds of Hope Gala in Red Deer

The first-ever Seeds of Hope Gala was held at the Red Deer… Continue reading

Person airlifted to hospital after collision near Innisfail

One person was airlifted to hospital after a serious collision west of… Continue reading

WATCH: Make-A-Wish grants Star Wars loving teen’s wish

The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted Anakin Suerink’s wish in Red Deer Saturday afternoon

Turkey to reveal details of probe into Khashoggi’s killing

ISTANBUL — In a sign of growing pressure on Saudi Arabia, Turkey… Continue reading

Utah truck driver is jailed without bond after crash kills 6

HEBER, Utah — A man suspected of driving under the influence remained… Continue reading

A ragged, growing army of migrants resumes march toward US

TAPACHULA, Mexico — A ragged army of Honduran migrants streamed through southern… Continue reading

Postal workers to begin strikes in 4 Canadian cities Monday if deal not reached

OTTAWA — The union representing 50,000 Canada Post employees says it will… Continue reading

Migrant caravan swells to 5,000, resumes advance toward US

CIUDAD HIDALGO, Mexico — Despite Mexican efforts to stop them at the… Continue reading

“I don’t feel real”: Mental stress mounting after Michael

PANAMA CITY, Fla. — Amy Cross has a hard time explaining the… Continue reading

Toronto residents set to vote Monday on the next four years of civic leaders

Toronto’s municipal election campaign, marked by unprecedented provincial interference, ends Monday when… Continue reading

Former PQ minister Lise Payette remembered as role model for female politicians

MONTREAL — Members from across Quebec’s political spectrum gathered at a downtown… Continue reading

Most Read