This time it’s for real: Woodstock 50 has been cancelled

This time it’s for real: Woodstock 50 has been cancelled.

The embattled music festival, promoted as a 50th anniversary concert commemorating the seminal baby boomer gathering, has ceased efforts to stage the event, three months after its main backer pulled funding and declared it dead.

The proposed festival, spearheaded by original Woodstock promoter Michael Lang, had promised to revisit the “three days of peace, love and music” spectacle with a bill that was to include Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, the Black Keys, Dead & Company and a bevy of musicians, including John Fogerty, John Sebastian and Santana, who appeared at the original festival.

Wrote Lang in a statement: “We are saddened that a series of unforeseen setbacks has made it impossible to put on the festival we imagined with the great lineup we had booked and the social engagement we were anticipating.” He added that when Woodstock 50 didn’t get permitted at two potential New York sites, “we looked for a way to do some good rather than just cancel.”

But even the good was not to be. Since financial backer Dentsu Aegis, a Japanese marketing corporation, pulled funding in late April, news of Woodstock 50’s possible demise ruled music business conversations, often used in the same sentence as failed destination concert the Fyre Festival. The drama also brought back memories of Woodstock ‘99, which ended in violence.

With booking agents and managers balking at the hurdles facing Lang’s project, by the time he conceded defeat, many of the festival’s major acts had already publicly announced their intention to skip it.

Those pining to party for Woodstock’s 50th anniversary still have at least one option: The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Bethel, N.Y., has booked a series of Woodstock-era musicians for the weekend of Aug. 16-18: Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band (Fri.), Santana (Sat.) and John Fogerty (Sunday).

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Westerner Park audit finds ‘gross operational mismanagement, gaping holes and lack of controls,’ says councillor

Two councillors question audit’s conclusion no inaccuracies were presented to the governance board

160 new COVID-19 cases reported in Alberta on Tuesday

Province now has 1,571 active cases

Lack of nurses stressing Red Deer hospital staff, says union

‘We don’t have enough nurses to do the work that’s required’

Reports of horse fever confirmed in central Alberta

Alberta horse owners are on the alert for the spread of a… Continue reading

QUIZ: Do you know what’s on TV?

Fall is normally the time when new television shows are released

Saskatchewan premier sets campaign in motion for Oct. 26 election

Saskatchewan premier sets campaign in motion for Oct. 26 election

Deficit on track to hit $330 billion with COVID effects lasting years, says PBO

Deficit on track to hit $330 billion with COVID effects lasting years, says PBO

Alberta’s disaster risk assessment plan in poor shape: auditor general

Alberta’s disaster risk assessment plan in poor shape: auditor general

Former Conservative MP Rob Anders facing multiple charges of evading taxes

Former Conservative MP Rob Anders facing multiple charges of evading taxes

COVID-19 cases rising among US children as schools reopen

COVID-19 cases rising among US children as schools reopen

Disney to lay off 28,000 at its parks in California, Florida

Disney to lay off 28,000 at its parks in California, Florida

Trudeau pledges extra $400 million in humanitarian aid to fight COVID-19

Trudeau pledges extra $400 million in humanitarian aid to fight COVID-19

Montreal restaurateurs ‘in shock’ after provincial government orders 28-day closure

Montreal restaurateurs ‘in shock’ after provincial government orders 28-day closure

Most Read