You can sue the newspaper, but it probably won’t help

Celebrities and politicians who have had their mobile phones hacked by a British tabloid can sue for invasion of privacy but are unikely to get much money in damages, a leading media lawyer said Friday.

LONDON — Celebrities and politicians who have had their mobile phones hacked by a British tabloid can sue for invasion of privacy but are unikely to get much money in damages, a leading media lawyer said Friday.

Nigel Tait’s comments came after the Guardian newspaper reported that the News of the World, a tabloid owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch, paid investigators to obtain voice mail messages, bank statements and other information about public figures.

The targets reportedly included Oscar-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow, singer George Michael and senior British politicians.

Anyone who was monitored could either ask the police to prosecute, or sue for invasion of privacy, said Tait, an attorney at Carter-Ruck, a London law firm specializing in entertainment and media law. He said damages would be around a few thousand pounds unless victims were subject to sustained periods of eavesdropping, but it might help them find out which conversations were overheard.

Publicist Max Clifford, who The Guardian reported as a target, told the BBC he would consult a lawyer to decide whether to take action.

The Guardian claims that the News of The World recorded phone messages Manchester United Manager Alex Ferguson and former Newcastle United manager Alan Shearer left on the mobile phone of Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers Association

Some of the evidence emerged when the News of the World’s royal editor, Clive Goodman, was arrested and later jailed in January 2007 for hacking into the phones of palace officials,

The Guardian claimed the practice was widespread at the newspaper and that Goodman is not the only journalist to have done it. It says News of the World’s parent company News International paid out a million pounds in secret out-of-court settlements to people whose privacy had been invaded.

The Guardian said one of those settlements was a 700,000 pound payout to Taylor

Police said Thursday that the allegations had been thoroughly examined during the Goodman case and that they would not take the matter forward.

But the director of public prosecutions and the Press Complaints Commission both said they will look into the matter.

The Culture, Media and Sports Select Committee, made up of lawmakers from all parties, also said it will investigate the matter and may hold its first meeting next week. Its chairman John Whittingdale said the committee may quiz senior News International executives about the hacking.

Just Posted

Break-in at Red Deer business

Social media reports confirm a business break and enter in Red Deer… Continue reading

‘Rough waters’: Spill raises new questions about fast-growing N.L. oil industry

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Newfoundland and Labrador’s ambitious plans to dramatically expand… Continue reading

Trudeau rules out snap election call, national ballot slated for Oct. 21

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there will be no early… Continue reading

Canadian firm says it has found largest diamond ever unearthed in North America

YELLOWKNIFE — A Canadian mining firm says it has unearthed the largest… Continue reading

Man from Olds killed in collision near Sundre

A 39-year-old man from Olds was killed in a collision near Sundre… Continue reading

WATCH: More than 100 protest UN migration pact, carbon tax in Red Deer

Chants of “Trudeau must go” echoed through the streets of downtown Red… Continue reading

Man who demolished landmark house ordered to build replica

SAN FRANCISCO — A man who illegally demolished a San Francisco house… Continue reading

Giuliani: ‘Over my dead body’ will Mueller interview Trump

WASHINGTON — With a number of probes moving closer to the Oval… Continue reading

Quebecers criticize western oil but buying more gasoline, SUVs, bigger homes: report

MONTREAL — Quebec’s premier is quick to reject “dirty” oil from Western… Continue reading

Speaker Geoff Regan opens the door to his apartment in Parliament

OTTAWA — One of the best-kept secrets inside the main building on… Continue reading

Baloo the cat is back at home after being mistakenly shipped to Montreal

HALIFAX — Much to the relief of his loving family, Baloo the… Continue reading

‘It’s what we do’: Famous Newfoundlanders help replace veteran’s stolen guitar

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Two famous Newfoundlanders stepped in to help an… Continue reading

Quebec’s anti-corruption unit blames media coverage for recruiting troubles

MONTREAL — Seven years after it was created, Quebec’s anti-corruption unit is… Continue reading

Former PQ cabinet minister poised to become next Bloc Quebecois leader

MONTREAL — It appears likely that Yves-Francois Blanchet, a former Parti Quebecois… Continue reading

Most Read