I have written before about the dangers of compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL).
They have been in use in Europe for many years and now the Europeans have major concerns about their safety if they become broken. These lights contain mercury and even a small exposure can affect the developing brain in a child or the central nervous system in the fetus of a pregnant woman.
If you Google ‘CFL broken light bulb’ you will be shocked. You have to keep children, pregnant women and pets out of the room. If you are pregnant you have to get another person to clean up. You have to turn off any fans, forced air or air conditioning and open the window. The room must be vacant for at least 15 minutes and preferably several hours.
Taking in disposable gloves, a flashlight, duct tape or other sticky tape, two pieces of stiff cardboard, damp paper towels and zip-lock bags you can then begin the cleanup.
Close the door to the room and carefully pick up the pieces of glass putting in the zip-lock bag. Shine the flashlight over the area and use the sticky tape to pick up any remaining pieces of glass. Dispose of the tape and cardboard in the bag and immediately remove from the house.
If you have the misfortune of breaking it on an area rug or carpet it is necessary to throw out these items. We won’t even think about what would happen if you broke the bulb on an upholstered sofa or chair as these are no longer usable.
Is this something that should even be in your home? The so called environmentalists such as David Suzuki are doing more harm to the environment that they claim to be saving.
In the past when it became apparent that mercury was a health hazard in our homes in such items as thermostats, steps were taken to remove them. Now, we are busy putting it back in our homes. Maybe we should go back to candles or not be in a rush to get rid of our incandescent bulbs.
R. Dean Cowan