I have been reading with great interest the article Extendicare staffing OK: inspection (Advocate, Page A2, Nov. 20).
Here are the questions going through my mind.
1) Who did the inspection?
2) What are the criteria?
Here are my answers:
1) Who did the inspection? Alberta Health Services employees who are encouraged to be positive in their results.
Was anyone else invited?
• For example — a member of the Central Alberta Council on Aging.
• For example — a member of the Red Deer Chapter of the Friends of Medicare.
• For example — a family member of someone who has not been getting proper care.
My guess is that none of these folk were invited to take part.
2) What was the criteria? We don’t know. My guess is that it was planned several days in advance.
What do you do when you know that you have company coming?
I know what I do. I tidy up so that my company will think that it is always like this.
I would have far more confidence in a drop-in inspection on several different days of a week and at different times of the day.