Warm, chewy Pretzel Bites are perfect for munching. These can be made ahead of time and frozen, so you only need to pop them in the oven to reheat. Our Spicy Mustard dipping sauce is the perfect match for the Pretzel Bites.
PRETZEL BITES WITH SPICY MUSTARD
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 pkgs (8 g each) instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (100 – 110°F)
3 tbsp salted butter, softened
Canola oil (for oiling bowl)
8 cups water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 1/2 tbsp coarse salt
Spicy Mustard (recipe below)
1. Place flour, yeast, 1 tsp salt and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater. Using low speed, beat until combined.
2. Add 1 1/4 cups warm water. Using low speed, beat just until dough comes together. Dough will be dry.
3. Change stand mixer attachment to a dough hook. Add butter. Using low speed, beat until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Dough will be firm.
4. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl; turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
5. Uncover dough. Working quickly, divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Cut each rope into one-inch pieces.
6. Place dough pieces in a single layer on trays. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 425°F.
8. Meanwhile, bring 8 cups water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Gradually stir in baking soda.
9. Cook dough pieces in batches in boiling water mixture for 20 seconds per batch. Remove dough pieces with a slotted spoon and transfer them to nonstick foil-lined rimmed baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
10. Bake until golden brown, about 15 to 17 minutes. May be frozen.
11. Serve with Spicy Mustard. Makes 8 dozen.
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1 tsp liquid honey
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1. Combine all ingredients until blended. Refrigerate until serving. Makes 1/2 cup.
ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen’s column on healthy eating for busy families runs Thursdays in the Red Deer Advocate.