A boy suffered burns to his eyes when a plastic bottle he found in a soccer field exploded in his face.
RCMP said the boy was treated for burn spots in his eyes at the hospital after the Saturday incident.
The nine-year-old boy was playing with friends in the park on Addington Drive when he found a small plastic water bottle filled with a clear liquid.
Believing the liquid to be water, the boy planned to empty out the container to fill it with sand. When he loosened the cap, there was a loud bang and the lid hit him in the nose so hard he began to bleed. His face was sprayed with liquid, an alkaline solution.
Alkalis are commonly found in household cleaners like bleach. Alkali has an unusual odor that may not be readily identified.
Police don’t suspect anything criminal but warn parents to talk to their children about playing with packages or containers they have found.