Vigilant criminals are taking advantage of people who leave unsecured valuables in their vehicles, say the Red Deer City RCMP.
In a recent press release, media relations officer Const. Sabrina Grunow said local RCMP have seen an increase in reports of thefts from vehicles.
Common targets include money, wallets and purses, cellphones, portable computers, electronics, briefcases and personal documents.
Garage door openers are also being taken, allowing the thieves to gain entry to garages and homes.
Grunow encourages people to take the following steps to prevent this type of theft:
• Always remove the ignition key as well as any extra keys.
• Keep the vehicle locked with its windows closed.
• Lock overhead garage doors at night.
• Disable overhead garage doors if you’re going to be away.
• Park in sensible areas, avoiding unlit areas at night.
• Get to know your neighbours.
• Watch your neighbourhood for suspicious activity and report it to police.
Anyone who has information that could lead to an arrest of thieves or help recover stolen property is asked to call 403-343-5575. To remain anonymous, visit www.tipsubmit.com or call Crime Stoppers, 1-800-222-8477.