Delburne fire minor

A small fire extinguisher helped limit the damage when a pile of sawdust caught fire in the front garage of a new home on Fawn Meadows Cresc. early Wednesday evening.

DELBURNE — A small fire extinguisher helped limit the damage when a pile of sawdust caught fire in the front garage of a new home on Fawn Meadows Cresc. early Wednesday evening.

Homeowner Alex Misane and his wife, Marlene, both 60, were inside the house at about 6:45 p.m. when smoke started coming in from the garage, setting off smoke detectors.

The Misanes called 9-1-1 and ran outside. Alex Misane said he grabbed a fire extinguisher and used it to attack the flames and then used a broom to push the still smouldering refuse onto the driveway.

Fire crews finished the job.

Nursing a small cut on the back of his hand, Misane said afterward that something hot must have fallen into a pile of sawdust where he had been doing some woodwork.

The fire caused minor smoke damage inside the house and a few things in the garage were melted, including its smoke detector.

The Misanes moved to Delburne from Calgary last June and had just finished building and moved into their new home about two months ago.

Alex Misane said he felt thankful that the damage was not worse.