Demonstration underscores the danger of kitchen fires (video)

Chins drop and eyes widen as scorching heat rolls across the parking lot from what had been a grease fire in a non-stick skillet.

City of Red Deer fire-medics begin to extinguish a kitchen demonstration fire during the fire prevention week open house at the downtown fire hall on Saturday.

City of Red Deer fire-medics begin to extinguish a kitchen demonstration fire during the fire prevention week open house at the downtown fire hall on Saturday.



Chins drop and eyes widen as scorching heat rolls across the parking lot from what had been a grease fire in a non-stick skillet.

Seconds earlier, Fire Inspector Wes Van Bavel and Fire Marshall Dale Kelly had showed how to use a lid to smother the flames if a pot catches fire on a kitchen stove.

A lid or a cutting board is the best fire extinguisher there is in the kitchen, Van Bavelt told the crowd gathered at Red Deer’s Fire Hall No. 1 for a barbecue to celebrate Fire Prevention Week.

But wait. Watch what happens when you try to put it out with water.

Standing well back from the mock kitchen where Red Deer firefighters had set their demonstration in action, another firefighter used a cup at the end of a long pole to drop some water into the burning skillet.

Children and adults alike gasped as blazing droplets of grease leapt from the pan, spread to the stove and counter tops and caught on a tea towel and an overhead cupboard.

Two and a half minutes after the fire had started, orange flames and black smoke filled the entire room and a pillar of smoke poured out of the front of the kitchen.

Firefighters moved in quickly to hose down the mock kitchen, starting at the ceiling and working downward. What had been an open-sided shed with cupboards, a stove, chair and table was now a blackened mess.

In a real event, the fire department would have been at least two minutes away, given the time it takes to leave the house, call 9-1-1, muster the crews and get them to the scene, Kelly had said while preparing the demonstration.

Watching with her family, 10-year-old Claire Stange said afterward that the great speed of the fire and the amount of heat it generated convinced her that the best thing to do if it happened in her house would be to get everyone out, then call for help.

“It was interesting to see just how fast the flames went all over. It was very hot. You wanted to cover your face and everything.”

Although she had never seen a kitchen fire, Stange had heard about a kitchen fire that had started when her dad, Grant was still a teenager. Luckily, damage was limited to the kitchen cabinets after his brother fell asleep while baking a batch of muffins.

After the Saturday afternoon demonstration at Red Deer’s downtown fire station, it’s a lot easier to understand the dangers of a kitchen fire, cited by Van Bavel as the number one cause of structure fires in Red Deer and across North America.

Cooking fires are the top cause of all house fires, which account for an overwhelming majority of the structure fires Red Deer Emergency Services attend, said Van Bavel. Crews had been called to three kitchen fires in the last three days, he said. Fortunately, none had escalated to the level of the demonstration fire staged after the annual Fire Prevention Week barbecue on Saturday.

Most kitchen fires start because the cook left the room or failed to keep watch over the stuff on the stove, said Van Bavel.

Unless they actually seen what can happen, people fail to realize how quickly an unminded pot can turn into a blazing disaster.

He told about one woman who had started heating some oil in a pan and then gone to the bathroom. In the short time that she was away, the oil burst into flames and set her kitchen ablaze.

Red Deer EMS is called to an average of 80 structure fires a year, the vast majority of them being house fires that started in the kitchen, said Kelly.

The best extinguisher is a lid or cutting board used to smother the fire, said Van Bavel. The covered pan can then be carefully moved to a cooler part of the stove and the burner can be shut off, he said.

Chemical fire extinguishers can be used as well, but only by people who are familiar with that type of equipment, he said.

People unprepared for the way a fire extinguisher reacts may end up spreading the flames rather than dousing them, said Van Bavel.

After kitchen fires, the next most prevalent causes of house fires include unattended candles and portable space heaters.

Van Bavel recommends against using space heaters in children’s bedrooms because of the danger that bedding or clothing could ignite.

bkossowan@bprda.wpengine.com

— copyright Red Deer Advocate

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

House sales remain hot in central Alberta with first-quarter sales nearly double last year’s numbers. Photo by PAUL COWLEY/Advocate staff
Central Alberta real estate market hot in 2021

Residential sales nearly double 2020 in first quarter

Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer gave an update on Olymel's COVID-19 situation on Wednesday. (File photo by Advocate staff).
Veer addresses rising COVID-19 cases in Red Deer

Red Deer has added nearly 200 cases of active COVID-19 cases in past week

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw and Premier Jason Kenney say the province would look at adding additional COVID-19 measures in the coming weeks if the virus continues to spread. (Photo by Government of Alberta)
Walk-in COVID-19 vaccination clinic to open in Red Deer

Alberta adds 1,345 new cases of the virus

Innisfail RCMP are investigating a single-vehicle crash that happened west of Bowden on March 21, 2021. (File photo by Advocate staff)
RCMP investigate culturally insensitive graffiti at Sylvan Lake school

Sylvan Lake RCMP is investigating a vandalism incident. On April 17 around… Continue reading

A vial of the Medicago vaccine sits on a surface. CARe Clinic, located in Red Deer, has been selected to participate in the third phase of vaccine study. (Photo courtesy www.medicago.com)
Red Deer clinical research centre participating in plant-based COVID-19 vaccine trial

A Red Deer research centre has been selected to participate in the… Continue reading

Vancouver Canucks' Tanner Pearson, right, celebrates after scoring against Toronto Maple Leafs goalie David Rittich during the third period of an NHL hockey game in Vancouver, on Tuesday, April 20, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Pearson, Sutter each score twice as Canucks dump Leafs 6-3

Pearson, Sutter each score twice as Canucks dump Leafs 6-3

Everton's Gylfi Sigurdsson celebrates with teammates after scoring his side's second goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park in Liverpool, England, Friday, April 16, 2021. (Peter Powell/Pool via AP)
Super League collapses after the 6 English clubs withdraw

Super League collapses after the 6 English clubs withdraw

Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez delivers against the Toronto Blue Jays during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, April 20, 2021, at Fenway Park in Boston. (AP Photo/Winslow Townson)
Bogaerts’ 3-run HR, Rodriguez lift BoSox over Blue Jays 4-2

Bogaerts’ 3-run HR, Rodriguez lift BoSox over Blue Jays 4-2

Pound says Olympic qualifying issues a concern to IOC

Pound says Olympic qualifying issues a concern to IOC

Former University of Victoria rowing coach Barney Williams is photographed in the stands during the Greater Victoria Invitational at CARSA Performance Gym at the University of Victoria in Victoria, B.C., on Friday, November 29, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Rowing Canada sanctions former head coach of B.C. varsity women’s team

Rowing Canada sanctions former head coach of B.C. varsity women’s team

Ontario Hockey League cancels 2020-21 season as COVID-19 cases surge in province

Ontario Hockey League cancels 2020-21 season as COVID-19 cases surge in province

Lionel Desmond (front row, far right) was part of the 2nd battalion, of the Royal Canadian Regiment, based at CFB Gagetown and shown in this 2007 handout photo taken in Panjwai district in between patrol base Wilson and Masum Ghar in Afghanistan. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Facebook-Trev Bungay MANDATORY CREDIT
Desmond inquiry: Veterans Affairs submits internal review after initial refusal

Desmond inquiry: Veterans Affairs submits internal review after initial refusal

FILE - In this Feb. 18, 2021 file photo State representatives gather at the Capitol, in Phoenix. Two years after Arizona lawmakers repealed a law barring any instruction on HIV or AIDS that that "promotes a homosexual lifestyle," they are close to enacting a broad remake of the state's sex education laws with a particular focus on LGBTQ issues. (AP Photo/Matt York,File)
Arizona governor vetoes strict sex education legislation

Arizona governor vetoes strict sex education legislation

Most Read