A fire on the main floor of the downtown Red Deer Wei’s Western Wear caused an estimated $80,000 worth of damage on Wednesday night.
Red Deer Emergency Services fire investigator Wes Van Bavel said the fire started in an office around 9 p.m. Fire crews took about three hours to extinguish the blaze and clear the building.
Van Bavel said the fire is not being treated as suspicious and the suspected cause is electrical. There were no reported injuries.
“They were using a powerbar that was wedged between a desk and the wall,” said Van Bavel. “Just the way it was situated, they had a number of items plugged into it, including an extension chord. It appears the wiring may have been damaged over time or the powerbar that led to the fire.”
Van Bavel said there was roughly $30,000 damage to the building and another $50,000 in contents. The store is located on 5115 50th Ave.
The store is open today.