Several townhouses were evacuated after a child accidentally pulled on a gas line inside a basement Tuesday morning.
Red Deer Emergency Services crews were called out to Hilltop Estates in Highland Green shortly after 8 a.m.
Assistant platoon chief Glen Thomlison said a gas line from the outside to the furnace was broken.
Two young children were playing when one of them hoisted themselves up and broke the line, he said.
“It was a pretty substantial leak,” Thomlison said. “I suspect they heard it pretty good.”
The home occupants left the house and 911 was called.
Fire-medics arrived on scene. Residents in five other townhouses were told to leave as well. There were no injuries.
Thomlison said the meter was shut off. Atco Gas was called. An hour later, residents were allowed into their homes.
Red Deer Emergency Services were also called out at 9:45 a.m. to a minor house fire on Ellenwood Drive in Eastview.
Thomlison said a contractor was renovating a bathroom when the solvent he was using was ignited by a heat gun. He tried to put out the fire, but there was still smoke.
He shut the door and got himself and two women in the house outside.
Fire-medics arrived to find the fire had been extinguished, but there was still smouldering in the bathroom and some smoke in the rest of the home.
Thomlison said the contractor was treated for minor injuries at the scene.