The Kinsmen Club of Red Deer has donated $500,000 that was raised in 2010 to service clubs and organizations in Red Deer and the surrounding area.
The club officially presented 11 charities with cheques totalling more than $273,500 at its Help the Kinsmen Help the Kids Appreciation Night on Tuesday.
The remainder of the money was donated to various organizations such as the Red Deer Action Group throughout the year, said Kinsmen president Myles Peake.
“It was just a real honour to give out that money to the community,” he said.
Cheques were presented to the following recipients on Tuesday:
• Red Deer Pond Hockey — $8,400
• Red Deer Minor Hockey — $8,400
• Youth and Volunteer Centre — $14,000
• Cystic Fibrosis — $17,800
• Red Deer Food Bank — $21,600
• Penhold Multiplex — $20,000
• Red Deer College Foundation — $10,000. This donation marks the end of the Kinsmen’s five-year commitment to the foundation.
• Central Alberta Women’s Emergency Shelter — $15,000. This donation marks the end of the Kinsmen’s three-year commitment to CAWES.
• Red Deer Royals — $10,000. The Kinsmen are committed to providing the Royals with $10,000 a year for 10 years, for a total of $100,000.
The club also presented cheques to help fund major projects by Family Services of Central Alberta and the Red Deer Regional Hospital Foundation.
Family Services of Central Alberta was given $33,333 and the Kinsmen committed to providing the organization a total of $100,000 over three years.
This money will be used to benefit the Kinsmen Family Play Place in Parkland Mall, which is where family services will run some of its programs for toddlers, children, youth and adults.
The hospital foundation received $115,000 and the Kinsmen are committed to providing the foundation a total of $345,000 over three years.
This funding will be used to upgrade the pediatrics ward at Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre.
The money donated by the Kinsmen Club is raised through annual Dream Home lotteries. The 2010 Dream Home raised $150,000, said Dream Home chair J.C. Levenne.