Lacombe man facing assault trial jailed for another assault

A Lacombe man already facing a serious assault trial was jailed on Thursday for another assault while on release from custody.

A Lacombe man already facing a serious assault trial was jailed on Thursday for another assault while on release from custody.

Travis James Kastrukoff, 23, was jailed for 50 days but only has two days remaining on his sentence because he has been in custody since the June 9 incident.

Kastrukoff, who was originally charged with assault causing bodily harm, uttering death threats and failing to comply with court imposed conditions, pleaded guilty to assault and failing to comply with conditions when he appeared in the prisoner docket in Red Deer provincial court.

He must also surrender a sample of his DNA to authorities.

Judge David Plosz heard that a woman living with the accused came home intoxicated and became involved in a scuffle with Kastrukoff.

Crown prosecutor Maurice Collard told court that Kastrukoff held and threw the victim around.

The woman had been injured earlier in the evening in another fight, defence lawyer Walter Kubanek said.

“You’ve acquired a nasty record for a young man,” the judge told Kastrukoff.

The accused is one of three men charged in connection with an attack on a male on July 17, 2010, in Lacombe.

The three men are to have a trial in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench on Dec. 5.

Brian Travis Ward, 21, and Carl Wesley Johnston, 19, all of the Lacombe area, will also stand trial before a judge and jury.

Earlier this summer, Andrew Dennis Renaud, 19, of Lacombe was jailed for 17 months for his role in that attack.

jwilson@bprda.wpengine.com