Red Deer judge denies bail to attempted murder suspect
Bail was denied Wednesday for a man charged with an attempted murder in Red Deer in 2007.
Salah Reshid Hussain, 26, of Brooks returns to Red Deer provincial court on Monday to hopefully have a date set for a preliminary hearing.
Hussain was denied bail in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench by Justice Monica Bast.
Earlier this week, Hussain, through his lawyer Arnold Piragoff, elected to be tried by a judge alone.
Details of the hearing can’t be published following a court order.
Hussain was charged in the late fall with a May 2007 shooting incident at a north Red Deer apartment complex.
A Canada-wide arrest warrant was issued for him after he was charged. He was arrested in Calgary and transported to Red Deer in October.
A 24-year-old woman suffered minor injuries in the incident in what RCMP said was sparked by an alleged drug debt.
A preliminary hearing is held to determine if there’s enough evidence to warrant the accused stand trial in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench.
City man arrested on outstanding warrants
A Red Deer man is expected to appear in court today after he was arrested on Wednesday on 15 warrants.
Michael Searle Skinner, 47, was arrested early in the morning in Edmonton and could appear today on numerous charges in Red Deer provincial court.
The RCMP and local courts issued the warrants when Skinner failed to show up in court for several appearances.
He was scheduled to have a trial on Wednesday afternoon in Red Deer on two of the charges.
That trial was set several months ago.
Skinner is charged with eight counts of breaching probation, failing to attend court, false pretences, fraud of more than $5,000, theft of more than $5,000, driving with no insurance and driving while unauthorized.
Committee to review city’s role in preventing crime
Red Deer’s Crime Prevention Advisory Committee will take a deeper look into how the city could help youth and prevent crime.
In November, Red Deer city council decided to maintain its current curfew bylaw that says youth under 16 should be off public property and in for the night from 1 a.m. until 6 a.m.
At that time, council asked the committee to look at incorporating curfew bylaw times into the city’s Community Standards Bylaw, explore amendments to the Community Standards Bylaw as it relates to youth and crime prevention, and work with agencies and community resource groups to develop a model to help identify youth at risk.
“We’ll start the discussion in January and we anticipate it would be a couple of months worth of work to be able to look at what they asked us to do,” said TerryLee Ropchan, crime committee chairwoman, at Tuesday’s committee meeting.
The committee’s recommendations will then be brought back to city council.
Ropchan said the committee will work with city departments, agencies, groups and youth.
The next committee meeting will be held Jan. 19.
Charity selling calendars to raise funds for foundation
The family of a young Red Deer man killed by an impaired driver is continuing to keep his memory alive with the Nev Foundation.
The recently registered charity is selling a charity sportsmanship calendar for the second year in a row at a cost of $20 each.
The Neville family is encouraging minor hockey teams, schools, churches and daycares to sell the calendars for $20, with $10 going to the non-profit organization and $10 going to the Nev Foundation.
Calendars are also available through the foundation.
Money raised by the Nev Foundation will go to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, a Nev suite in the new Red Deer Ronald McDonald House, the Slain Peace Officer Fund and educational scholarships.
Brent “Nev” Neville was killed by an impaired driver in Calgary on March 17, 2006, on his mother Aleta’s birthday.
He was 21 years old and was completing a business degree at Red Deer College, with plans to follow in his father Rick’s footsteps by going into law enforcement.
The charity calendar has a sportsmanship theme because Brent was playing on three teams at the time of the vehicle crash.
The foundation bears the nickname his teammates used to call him, “Nev”.
Each page on the calendar features real people and their stories.
For more information or to purchase a calendar, contact Aleta Neville at email@example.com or phone 403-342-7607.
Stabbing case could be resolved in near future
Resolution of stabbing charges against a Red Deer man may be near, Red Deer court heard on Wednesday.
Keenan Timothy Eagles, 21, reserved his plea on charges stemming from a Nov. 21 incident on Lancaster Drive.
His lawyer Paul Morigeau told court that a resolution is near but he needed time “to clear up some lose ends.”
Eagles returns to court Dec. 18 on charges of aggravated assault, breaching probation and assault with a weapon.
Eagles, who appeared in court with a heavily bandaged right hand, was charged after a 25-year-old man was allegedly stabbed during an altercation at a residence.
The injured man was treated in hospital while another person was threatened with a baseball bat.
Red Deer man admits committing fraud
A 46-year-old Red Deer man has pleaded guilty to five fraud charges involving the cashing of $45,000 worth of bad cheques in Red Deer.
Mardy Brand pleaded guilty to the charges of fraud of less than $5,000 each when he appeared in Red Deer provincial court on Wednesday.
He returns to court in late February for sentencing following a pre-sentence report.
Charges were laid against at least four people alleged to have been involved in writing and cashing the bad cheques.
Red Deer City RCMP said they investigated a numbered company with which all the suspects are alleged to have been involved.
Police allege that a series of cheques cashed between Feb. 25 and June 20, 2008, were returned for having not sufficient funds in the bank.
Other people charged include:
• Curt Whitten, 34 of Red Deer, 27 counts of false pretence under $5,000;
• Donald Hutlet, 34, of Benalto, seven counts of fraud under $5,000;
• Darcy Aubuchon, 29, of Innisfail, six counts of fraud under $5,000.
Police identify suspect in stolen property case
A Red Deer man charged in connection with the recovery of about $250,000 in stolen property on Dec. 1 is the first suspect in the case identified by police.
Earl Bruyea, 29, will make his first court appearance in Red Deer provincial court on Jan. 5, Const. Sabrina Grunow of city RCMP said on Wednesday.
He is charged with three counts of break and enter, four counts of possession of stolen property valued at more than $5,000 and five counts of possession of stolen property valued at less than $5,000.
He was released from custody recently.
Three other men, including a 19-year-old from Red Deer County, a 36-year-old from Delburne and a fourth person with no age released, have been charged with numerous offences.
Their names haven’t been released because information against them hasn’t been sworn yet, Grunow said.
The 19-year-old appears in court on Jan. 5 while the Delburne accused makes his first appearance on Jan. 26.
Red Deer City RCMP recovered $250,000 in stolen property — including numerous vehicles — after search warrants were executed in Central Alberta on Dec. 1.
The search warrants were executed on a campsite at Burntstick Lake, and residences in Delburne and Red Deer.
Police recovered property reported stolen from Rocky Mountain House, Innisfail, Delburne, Red Deer and the Red Deer rural area.
Some of the recovered stolen property includes two Ford F-350 pickup trucks, six ATVs, a Jeep, TJ, Mallord Holiday Trailer, 16-foot car hauler trailer and several televisions, including a 52-inch Sony.
Blackfalds residents face fraud charges
Two Blackfalds residents have been charged with numerous fraud and forgery offences in connection with an alleged scam involving more than $165,000.
Jacklyn Saunders, 27 and Sean Saunders, 27, are both set to make their first appearance on Jan. 15 in Red Deer provincial court.
Const. Sabrina Grunow of the city RCMP detachment said on Wednesday that the city RCMP fraud unit started an investigation after a business came forward with information about an alleged internal fraud.
It’s alleged that a woman, who was employed in an administrative capacity at the business, altered 61 cheques to reflect larger sums of money and to whom the cheques were payable.
She was employed at the business from February 2006 to September 2008.
The total fraud amount is listed at $167,800, Grunow said.
Jacklyn Saunders is charged with two counts of fraud of more than $5,000, two counts of theft of more than $5,000 and single counts of forgery, uttering a forged document and altering documents.
Grunow said police allege 56 cheques were made payable to the woman while the other five cheques were alleged to have been made payable to Sean Saunders, who was employed in a sales capacity.
Sean Saunders is charged with two counts of theft of more than $5,000 and a single count of uttering a forged document.