Local briefs – December 3

A federal prison inmate charged with attempted murder following a knifing about a year ago at Bowden Institution was ordered to stand trial.

Prisoner ordered to stand trial

A federal prison inmate charged with attempted murder following a knifing about a year ago at Bowden Institution was ordered to stand trial.

A preliminary hearing on the matter wrapped up on Tuesday in Red Deer provincial court.

The hearing had about 15 witnesses called by the Crown, including Corrections Canada officers, RCMP officers and two other inmates, in addition to a former inmate who was released after the incident.

A ban on publication of information from the hearing was ordered by the court.

The 47-year-old alleged victim, who has since been released from jail, suffered stab wounds to his abdomen, chest and back after another inmate attacked him with a sharpened metal spoon.

Joseph Alexander Mason, 45, is also charged with aggravated assault in the Nov. 14, 2008, incident.


Thief escapes after break-ins

Nearly a dozen homes in Castor were broken into early Wednesday as owners slept and a suspect led police on a foot chase before escaping.

The break and enters happened between midnight and 3 a.m. Eleven homes were hit and in some cases the owners were sleeping inside, said Coronation RCMP Sgt. Tom Love.

The thief was spotted by a resident who called police.

“The male was found to be walking in the community,” said Love. “A foot pursuit was initiated.”

The man managed to disappear into the night. A number of undisclosed items were taken during the break and enters.

Police do not have a detailed description.

Anyone who saw anything or has any knowledge of the incidents is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.


RDC gas leak repaired

Students and staff are back to work in areas of Red Deer College that were evacuated early Tuesday because of a gas leak.

A faulty gas regulator was discovered on Tuesday morning after people arriving in the welding shop for 7 a.m. classes reported that they could smell gas, says communications co-ordinator Jeff Maser.