Suspect reserves plea
A man charged with the attempted murder of a Red Deer woman more than two years ago will remain in jail after reserving his plea on Wednesday.
Salah Reshid Hussain, 26, of Brooks was ordered to return to provincial court on Nov. 9.
He has been denied bail after he was arrested last week in Calgary on a Canada-wide warrant.
The attempted murder charge was laid in connection with a May 2007 shooting at a north Red Deer apartment complex during which a 24-year-old woman suffered minor injuries.
Police said earlier they believe the shooting was over an alleged drug debt.
Police believe that bullet holes in an apartment were fired sometime between May 18, 2007, and May 25, 2007.
Social programs funded
Red Deer County will contribute $90,594 towards social initiatives in the region.
The money approved on Tuesday represents the county’s share of the Red Deer and District Family and Community Support Services 2010 budget. Funding is up three per cent from last year.
The FCSS is a partnership between the province, municipalities and Metis settlements and $2.94 million has been earmarked for this region next year.
The province picks up 80 per cent of the cost and the remaining 20 per cent is shared among municipalities based on the direct programs and services their residents receive.
Funding goes to more than three dozen organizations and programs. In Red Deer County, nearly $132,000 used to fund a community facilitator and community workers in Springbrook and the West Country among other programs.
One of the sharpest minds in the local woodworking trade is offering to share a few of his secrets. The Red Deer Public School District has contracted Len Tenpas to offer a series of courses would-be woodworkers on upcoming Saturdays, starting this week. Each of the courses runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with materials included in the fee. Instruction takes place at the Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School.
Course breakdowns are as follows:
• Oct. 24: Whimsical Carving. Make small houses out of bark. Fee is $76 plus GST.
• Nov. 7: Carved Kitchen Utensils. Make your own wooden spoon. Fee is $65 plus GST with an early-bird discount for those who register on or before Oct. 28.
• Nov. 21: Wood Turning. Please bring your lathe and tools if you have them, but do not buy anything for the course. Fee is $76 with an early-bird discount to those who register on or before Nov. 12
Courses are offered through Community Programs, which has samples of Tenpas’s whimsical houses on display in its office at Lindsay Thurber.
Register online at www.rdpsd.ab.ca/commpro or by calling 403-342-1059.
Stimulus program to benefit county
Federal and provincial stimulus cash will be shovelled into local road projects in Red Deer County.
The federal and provincial governments have given nearly $917,000 each to the county, which plans to use the cash to fix up 18 km of rural roads.
The county will put in $1,148,763 towards the cost of stabilizing and chip sealing various roads around the county. It will be done in 2010.
The county has been on a road repair blitz. Last spring, the municipality rolled out a massive $8-million road paving program and accelerated a 10-year asphalt maintenance program by eight years to take advantage of newly competitive pricing after years of steep cost increases driven by the red hot economy.
MPC rejects bid
A Springbrook homeowner who wanted to trade parking spaces for backyard play space for children was turned down by Red Deer County’s municipal planning commission on Tuesday.
The applicant wanted to drop one of two required parking stalls to leave more yard.
But development officer Treena Miller said there have been ongoing parking issues in Springbrook, particularly in the older parts of the community.
Two spaces are required under county bylaws to keep parked cars off the streets. If the application was approved, it is likely other homeowners will want to follow suit. Allowing more street parking could lead to children running out from between parked cars.
Red Deer County is planning to launch a series of environmental open houses to advertise the merits of backyard composting, low-flush toilets and rain barrels.
Council approved $26,000 for the initiatives to set up a series of open houses throughout the county this winter. The county will use the meetings to roll out the new programs and offer tips on reducing water, electricity and natural gas consumption. Times and dates have not yet been set. About $9,000 will be spent on advertising and hall rental and other costs. The remaining $17,000 will go towards the toilet rebate program, including $2,000 for administration and $15,000 to offer toilet rebates for switching.