A Red Deer man accused of slashing a woman several times with a knife pleaded not guilty to two separate assaults on Friday in Red Deer provincial court.
John Profeit, 34, will go to trial on Nov. 7 on charges of aggravated assault and assault with a weapon against the female alleged victim of the knife attack.
Another trial date of Oct. 24 was also set for Profeit, in connection to a previous, unrelated assault that led to several charges. Crown prosecutor Jason Snider said it was against a different alleged victim.
Profeit, who appeared on close-circuit TV, elected to be tried in provincial court for both cases. The request was made by his lawyer, Krysia Przepiorka of Calgary.
Charges in connection to the knife slashing were laid after Red Deer RCMP officers responded to a disturbance on Jan. 22 at a 57th Avenue apartment in Red Deer.
A 30-year-old woman was found to be assaulted and cut with a knife. She was taken to Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre and treated for multiple lacerations and bruises.
Police accuse the suspect of punching and kicking the victim in the face, head and chest, and slashing her several times with a knife after an argument. The victim got away by locking herself in the bathroom until the suspect left.
Snider reiterated on Friday that Profeit is prohibited from having contact with the alleged victim. The Crown said he had previously tried to call her, despite a no-contact order.